75 Amazing Animal Facts
1. Armadillos can get leprosy.
2. The heart of a mouse beats 650 times per minute!
3. In just about every species of mammal, the female lives longer than the male.
4. A group of frogs is called an army.
5. It is estimated that lab-grown meat consumes 90% less water and land, as well as 50% less energy overall than animal meat.
6. The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
7. A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.
8. Beavers have orange teeth!
9. A hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4 foot tall child inside!
10. Bulls are color blind, therefore will usually charge at a matador's waving cape no matter what color it is -- be it red or neon yellow!
11. A zebra is white with black stripes.
12. Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
13. 82 percent of women are more attracted to men who like animals.
14. A chicken will lay bigger and stronger eggs if you change the lighting in such a way as to make them think a day is 28 hours long!
15. A group of hippos is called a bloat.
16. The average 1 1/4 lb. lobster is 7 to 9 years old.
17. The greater wax moth can hear sounds that are more high-pitched than any known animal can make.
18. The placement of a donkey's eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times!
19. There are more plastic flamingos in the U.S, than real ones!
20. A hedgehog's heart beats 300 times a minute on average!
21. A snail can sleep for three years.
22. Animals will not eat another animal that has been hit by a lightning strike.
23. Despite the hump, a camel's spine is straight.
24. In 2013, CT scans revealed that King Tut was bitten by a hippo, perhaps contributing to his death.
25. Smaller animals experience time as passing more slowly.
26. 82 percent of women agree that they are more attracted to men who like animals.
27. Most of a hog's sweat glands are in its snout.
28. The boa constrictor is the only living animal whose common name is exactly the same as its scientific name.
29. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave!
30. Spotted skunks do handstands before they spray.
31. After chasing and killing prey, the cheetah has to rest a half hour before eating
32. The male platypus has poisonous spurs on its legs.
33. A chameleon?s tongue is twice the length of its body.
34. Now that he has retired from "The Daily Show," Jon Stewart is opening a sanctuary that rescues animals from factory farms.
35. A jellyfish is 95 percent water
36. A panda's fur is coated with oil, which keeps the animal waterproof.
37. There is a company that will fly you in a helicopter and allow you to use machine guns to kill animals from the air while they run.
38. Contrary to popular belief, opossums, squirrels, chipmunks, and mice do not carry rabies.
39. Cattle are the only mammals that pee backwards.
40. Given the opportunity, deer will chew gum and marijuana.
41. Iguanas have two penises!
42. Male chimpanzees are more likely to use sticks as weapons while female chimpanzees use them as dolls, according to research.
43. Animals will not eat another animal that has been hit by a lightning strike!
44. Porcupines float in water!
45. Even wild chimpanzees know to look both ways before crossing the road.
46. Baby beavers are called kittens.
47. In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
48. Gelatin is derived from collagen, a protein collected from animal skin.
49. Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand!
50. Turtles can live for more than 100 years.
51. Under extreme stress, some octopuses will eat their own arms.
52. Leonardo DaVinci used to buy caged animals at the market just to set them free.
53. Hermit crabs don't have their own shells, and have to live in old shells of other animals.
54. Donkeys are commonly used by the Iraqi Military to launch rockets!
55. Beavers can swim half a mile underwater on one gulp of air.
56. The blesbok, a South African antelope, is almost the same color as grapejuice!
57. Charles Darwin ate every single animal he discovered.
58. In ancient times, criminals would be sewn inside of a rotting animal and then tied to a tree to be eaten by vultures.
59. Goats do not have upper front teeth.
60. A group of zebras is called a "dazzle."
61. Sick animals will pretend to be healthy if the opportunity to mate presents itself.
62. There was an animal described as 'something like a cross between a horse and a gorilla' called a Chalicothere.
63. The last animal in the dictionary is the ZYZZYVA, a tropical weevil.
64. The starfish is one of the few animals who can turn it's stomach inside-out!
65. There are more than one million animal species on Earth!
66. A completely blind chameleon will still take on the colors of its environment.
67. The quills of a porcupine are soft when they are born.
68. Many tiny animals live in sponges.
69. A group of geese on the ground is a gaggle, a group of geese in the air is a skein!
70. A mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet long in just one night!
71. New Jersey is the only state where it is required for animals to wear a seat belt. The fine could be up to $1000
72. If a zebra is attacked, its family will come to its defense, circling the wounded zebra and attempting to drive off predators.
73. 70% of the grain grown in the U.S. is fed to farmed animals, and it takes up to 13 pounds of grain to produce just 1 pound of meat.
74. The world's smallest mammal is the bumblebee bat of Thailand, weighing less than a penny.
75. Young zebras are brown and white.
Trending in Animals
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Vultures can turn a dead body into a skeleton in under five hours.
The world’s largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton is called Sue.