39 Top Bee Facts
1. Hospitals that resemble living rooms have been shown to improve health.
2. A queen bee uses her stinger only to sting another queen bee.
3. Beer contains all 13 essential nutrients of life
4. One study estimates that a bottle of beer consumed every day reduces the risk of kidney stones by 40%.
5. The sting from a killer bee contains less venom than the sting from a regular bee!
6. Mrs Beeton recommended boiling pasta for 13⁄4 hours.
7. A scientist allowed 78 bees, wasps, and ants sting him to create a pain index. The absolute worst was the bullet ant.
8. The historic news of the first manned powered flight by the Wright Brothers first appeared in the magazine Gleanings in Bee Culture.
9. Since 1948, 100 planes have gone missing in flight and never been recovered.
10. Most of the water you drink has already been drunk by someone else, maybe several times over.
12. Bees can be trained to detect bombs.
13. Bees fly an average of 15 miles per hour.
14. Water, electricity and gas have been free of charge in Turkmenistan since 1991.
15. A survey revealed that 92% of light beer drinkers are open to dating someone with kids.
16. There can be more than 20,000 bees in a single hive!
17. The most times a person has been stung by bees without dying is 2,443.
18. IP addresses linked to the New York Police Department have been used to sanitize Wikipedia entries about cases of police brutality.
19. In spite of ‘women and children first’, men have been twice as likely as women to survive shipwrecks since 1852.
20. Beer Pong Definition: A game that needs to be an olympic sport.
21. The common hartebeest graze together in groups of 10,000.
22. Bees are directly responsible for the production of 70% of fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts that we consume on a daily basis.
23. Honeybees have a type of hair on their eyes!
24. Studies have shown that expressing gratitude to others has been shown to make people happier.
25. Bees cool down their hives by bringing in water on their wings.
26. Stress is often referred to as 'the silent killer' and has been linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, chest pain and early death.
27. Only female bees work.
28. Bees can sense moisture changes in the air, which allows them to make it back to their hives before it rains.
29. 19% of surveyed transgender people have been denied health care due to their transgender or gender non-conforming status.
30. The buzz that you hear when a bee approaches is the sound of its four wings moving at 11,400 strokes per minute.
31. 80% of 10-year-old girls surveyed in the U.S. have been on a diet.
32. 80% of all time capsules have been lost.
33. Beethoven was of Belgian extraction.
34. People who drink ultra-light beer tend to prefer long-term relationships and are most likely to be homebodies, according to a survey.
35. Experts say that the average adult can safely withstand more than 1,000 bee stings.
36. The Bloody Mary has been scientifically proven to be the best alcoholic drink to enjoy on an aeroplane.
37. The sting from a killer bee contains less venom than the sting from a regular bee.
38. Hairspray will immobilize wasps and bees if you're ever attacked by them
39. When you drink a glass of water, it has already been drunk by other people and animals, possibly several times over.
Trending in Animals
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.
Vultures can turn a dead body into a skeleton in under five hours.
The world’s largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton is called Sue.