61 Interesting Bird Facts
1. The serval is a type of wildcat that can jump 10 feet up in the air to catch birds!
2. Some bird couples sing duets!
3. A hummingbird nest is generally only a couple of centimeters in diameter â€“ about the size of a half walnut shell.
4. A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.
5. Owls are one of the only birds who can see the color blue!
6. Hummingbirds can't walk.
7. The female pigeon cannot lay eggs if she is alone. In order for her ovaries to function, she must be able to see another pigeon.
8. Some bird couple sing duets!
9. The creator of Flappy Bird has announced that he will be taking the game down tomorrow. He says it is ruining his life.
10. Baby robins eat 14 feet of earthworms every day!
11. Birds are the only surviving members of the dinosaur family.
12. The Pelagic Cormorant is a bird that dives as deep as 100 feet underwater to find food.
13. The Wild Turkey is the only bird with a beard.
14. Roosters can't crow if they can't fully extend their necks.
15. Turkey's often look up at the sky during a rainstorm. Unfortunately some have been known to drown as a result.
16. Female canaries cannot sing.
17. If all the Birds Eye waffles sold in a year were stacked up, they would be 474 times higher than Mount Everest.
18. Birds do not sleep in their nests. They may occasionally nap in them, but they actually sleep in other places.
19. Gloucestershire airport in England used to blast Tina Turner songs on the runways to scare birds away.
20. Most birds of prey hunt during the daytime, unlike owls.
21. Drug lord Pablo Escobar had his own personal zoo that consisted of giraffes, ostriches, antelopes, exotic birds, and four hippos.
22. Weaver birds build the bird versions of apartment complexes with as many as 100 separate nests in them.
23. Flamingos pee on their legs to cool themselves off.
24. Digit smash has the potential to be addicting like flappy bird or better for sure haha
25. Some birds have been know to put ants into their feathers because the ants squirt formic acid, which kills parasites.
26. Hummingbirds can weigh less than a penny!
27. Pigs are made enemies in Angry Birds because swine flu was riding high when the game was being developed.
28. A hummingbird nest is generally only a couple of centimeters in diameter - about the size of a half walnut shell.
29. In Utah, birds have the right of way on any public highway.
30. Birds that consume alcohol slur their songs, much like a human would slur their speech.
31. Parrots have 500 pounds per square inch of pressure in their beaks.
32. Birds will attempt to fly through any window larger than 4 inches wide by 2 inches high. Think about that.
33. Avocados are poisonous to birds.
34. In order to be light enough to fly, birds have only one ovary.
35. Flappy Birds made the Vietnamese creator $50,000 daily, but he removed the app from the App Store because he said it is ruining his life.
36. ‘Bird’ was originally spelled brid.
37. Some breeds of chickens lay colored eggs!
38. Flappy Bird is actually the swimming level on Super Mario.
39. Vultures fly without flapping their wings.
40. Bluebirds cannot see the color blue.
41. 'Raptor' actually means a bird of prey.
42. Male ladybirds can spend up to four hours mating with a dead female before realising something is wrong.
43. Flamingos can only eat with their heads upside down.
44. Ladybird orgasms last for 30 minutes.
45. The Secretary bird uses its long legs to kick its prey.
46. 75% of wild birds die before they are 6 months old.
47. Before filming "Birdman," Michael Keaton played Batman, Edward Norton played the Hulk, and Emma Stone played Gwen Stacy â€” comic book roles.
48. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds!
49. There is a species of bird, Antpitta avis canis Ridgley, that barks like a dog.
50. The film "Birdman" was shot in only 30 days.
51. Touching an egg or baby bird will not cause it to be rejected by its mother.
52. Owls are the only birds who can see the colour blue.
53. Turkeys can reproduce without having sex.
54. The Pacific island of Nauru's economy is almost entirely based on bird droppings.
55. Michael Keaton said it took him about 27 seconds to decide to be in "Birdman."
56. Dot up is really the new flappy bird
57. Over 10,000 birds a year die from smashing into windows.
58. Birds living in cities start the dawn chorus five hours earlier than in the countryside.
59. The hummingbird is the only animal that can fly backwards.
60. THE GAME DOT UP IS THE NEW FLAPPY BIRD.
61. You can bake your own playable Angry Birds cake.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Vultures can turn a dead body into a skeleton in under five hours.
The world’s largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton is called Sue.