Awesome Butterfly Facts
1. The original name for the butterfly was flutterby!
2. Butterflies can attain a flight speed of up to 50 kph.
3. There are 2,500 species of moth in the UK but only 60 species of butterfly.
4. Butterflies can see red, green, and yellow.
5. Butterflies taste with their hind feet.
6. Butterflies taste with their feet.
7. Butterflies have four wings and six legs.
8. Butterflies are related to crabs and lobsters.
9. Butterflies are divided into two main groups called skippers (hesperioidea) and true butterflies (papilionoidea).
10. Butterflies cannot fly if their body temperature is less than 86 degrees.
11. Butterflies don't have lungs.
12. The original name for the butterfly was 'flutterby'.
13. Butterflies use their two antennae to smell.
14. Butterflies weigh only as much as two rose petals.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.