93 Cool Dog Facts
1. Dogs suppress their innate intelligence for the sake of their human masters.
2. Dogs can see sadness in humans and often attempt to make their owners happy by initiating cuddling.
3. Dogs might be more intelligent than cats because they know how to make friends.
4. The average dog is as intelligent as a two-year-old child.
5. Dog owners spend more on a date and are more willing to have a one-night stand than cat owners, who are more aloof in relationships.
6. There are 701 types of pure breed dogs.
7. Dogs have faithfully lived with humans for over 14,000 years.
8. Dogs in the top 20 percent of canine intelligence can learn at least 250 words and signals.
9. Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not only sweat by salivating. They also sweat through the poors on their feet.
10. It was once against the law to have a pet dog in a city in Iceland!
11. The Chow and the Chinese Shar-Pei are the only dogs that have black tongues.
12. Dogs with ADHD make the best sniffer dogs.
13. The earliest European images of dogs are found in cave paintings dating back 12,000 years ago in Spain.
14. Over one million stray dogs live in the New York City metropolitan area.
15. The Falabella horse is about a foot taller than ba large dog
16. Each instance of dog poop that goes unscooped attracts approximately 144 flies.
17. Dogs can hear sounds that you cant!
18. Dalmatian puppies are born pure white, with their spots developing as the mature.
19. The average dog can run about 19 mph. Greyhounds are the fastest dogs on
Earth and can run at speeds of 45 mph.
20. Babies can hear dog whistles.
21. Dog TV is a television channel designed specifically to keep dogs entertained and stimulated while you go about your day.
22. Saint Bernards were trained to rescue lost travelers in the Swiss Alps.
23. Nose prints are used to identify dogs, just like humans use fingerprints!
24. The least intelligent dog breed is the Afghan Hound
25. The Canary Islands were not named after a bird called the canary. They were named after a breed of dogs!
26. Dogs and cats, like humans, are either right or left handed... or is that paws?.
27. Hot Dogs are so named because they were originally rumored to contain dog meat.
28. A dog has slept next to his owner's grave in Argentina for 6 years '” He found the cemetery on his own.
29. Though they look like dogs, hyenas are more closely related to cats.
30. Boxers are named for their playful habit of using their front paws in frolic.
31. There are an estimated 400 million dogs in the world.
32. Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not only sweat by salivating. They also sweat through the pours on their feet.
33. Dogs can hear sounds that you can't.
34. Seeing eye dogs are trained to poop on command.
35. Dogs sweat through their footpads.
36. If a guide dog judges that a command is unsafe, it will refuse the command. This is called 'intelligent disobedience'.
37. In the U.S. rabies is a lot more common in cats than it is in dogs.
38. Dogs will yawn in order to express that there is a conflict of interest between their own ideas or desires and those of their owners.
39. Studies show that the average dog has the same intelligence as a 2-year-old child - They can understand up to 250 words and motions.
40. The most popular dog breed in Canada, U.S., and Great Britain is the Labrador retriever.
41. Dogs and cats consume over $11 billion worth of pet food a year.
42. The flea can jump 350 times its body length, that is like a human jumping the length of a football field.
43. Dogs can sniff out prostate cancer with 98 percent accuracy.
44. Dog yawns are infectious.
45. It takes 12-15 dogs to make a dog fur coat and up to 24 cats to make a cat fur coat.
46. Dogs cannot feel guilt. They can only feel sad because their owner is yelling at them.
47. All but two breeds of dogs have pink tongues. The Chow Chow and the Shar-pei, both have black tongues.
48. Dogs have far fewer taste buds than people ? probably fewer than 2,000 compared to human's 9,000.
49. Alexander the Great is said to have founded and named a city Peritas, in
memory of his dog.
50. The dog who played Comet on "Full House" was the same dog who played "Air Bud."
51. A study revealed that people would rather wear a sweater with dog poop on it than a sweater that had been owned by a mass murderer.
52. Dogs cannot feel guilt â€” they can only feel sad because their owner is yelling at them.
53. In the movie 'The Wizard Of Oz', Toto the dog's salary was $125 a week, while Judy Garland was $500 a week.
54. Dogs and cats, like humans, are either right or left handed.
55. The most dogs ever owned by one person were 5,000 Mastiffs owned by Kubla Khan.
56. Dogs have lived with humans for over 14,000 years. Cats have lived with people for only 7,000 years.
57. Seeing eye dogs are trained to poop on command so their vision impaired owners can easily clean up after them.
58. Dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures.
59. Dogs that are small, elderly or short-haired actually need sweaters for cold weather.
60. Dogs will sometimes fake being sick to get attention.
61. The Nazis tried to teach dogs how to read, speak and spell.
62. There are one billion dogs in the world.
63. There are chemicals called arsole, urantae, fucol, dogcollarane, apatite and cummingtonite.
64. One of Michael Vick's former fighting dogs, Leo, went on to be a therapy dog who comforted dying children.
65. The average city dog lives three years longer than the average country dog.
66. Dogs and cats consume over $11 billion worth of pet food a year!
67. Dogs hear sounds up to four times the distance that humans are able to.
68. A hound dog named Ludivine snuck out of her owner's yard in Elkmont, Alabama and joined the town's half marathon'”she got 7th place.
69. The smartest dogs are: 1) border collie; 2) poodle; 3) golden retriever.
70. A dog's sense of smell is about 1000 times better than a person's.
71. The bloodhound is the only animal whose evidence is admissible in an American court.
72. Dogs have 42 teeth, cats about 30.
73. The best time for taking a puppy from its litter, psychologically and physically, is when it is 49 days old.
74. The most popular male dog names are Max and Jake. The most popular female dog names are Maggie and Molly.
75. Chained dogs are 3 times more likely to bite than unchained dogs.
76. President Franklin Roosevelt created a minor international incident when he claimed he sent a destroyer to the Aleutian Islands just to pick up his Scottish Terrier, Fala, who had been left behind.
77. The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world. France has the second highest.
78. Dogs can be optimistic or pessimistic, and are suited for certain jobs based upon this trait.
79. Dogs and elephants are the only animals that seem to instinctively understand pointing.
80. Up to 70% of Dobermans display OCD behaviours, while 8% of all dogs do.
81. Dogs, like humans, experience varying levels of depression.
82. The first two years of a dog's life are equal to 24 human years.
83. Knowing that Angela Merkel is afraid of dogs, Putin brought his black labrador to a meeting he had with her in 2007.
84. Dogs experience a chemical explosion in their brain when they see a human holding a treat for them.
85. Dogs are bred to be our dependents, which is why they retain frisky puppy behavior throughout life.
86. Studies show that the average dog has the same intelligence as a 2-year-old child â€“ They can understand up to 250 words and motions.
87. There are over 58 million dogs in the U.S!
88. Babies grow up healthier with dogs in the home.
89. Dogs can sense sadness in humans and will often attempt to make their owners happier by initiating cuddling.
90. Pit Bulls were once known as 'nanny dogs' because of how protective and kind they were to children.
91. Greyhounds have the best eyesight of any breed of dog.
92. Dogs can tell when people are untrustworthy and will stop listening to a person if they prove unreliable.
93. The Basenji is the world's only bark-less dog.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.
Vultures can turn a dead body into a skeleton in under five hours.
The world’s largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton is called Sue.