53 Fun Fish Facts
1. 2 million fish died in the Chesapeake Bay last week.
2. Fish don’t need to learn how to swim in schools.
3. The electric eel isn't an eel, it's a relative of the catfish.
4. The bitterling fish used to be used as pregnancy tests!
5. The age of a fish can be determined by its number of fish scales.
6. Only 70% of people will understand this: 2 + 2 = Fish. 3 + 3 = Eight. 7 + 7 = Triangle. R E T W E E T If u get it.
7. You can tell the age of a fish by the number of growth rings on its scales
8. Guinness isn’t suitable for vegetarians; it contains traces of fish bladder.
9. The lifespan of the common goldfish is over 20 years!
10. Over half of all known vertebrates are fish.
11. The Climbing gourami is a fish that has the ability to climb out of water, breathe oxygen, and even walk for short distances.
12. There is a lake named "Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg " in Massachusetts - It means You fish on your side, I fish on my side
13. A gas-filled sac called a swim bladder allows bony fish to ascend or descend without wasting energy
14. Although the fangtooth fish is only a few inches long, it has teeth about the size of a humans.
15. Over 90% of all fish caught are caught in the northern hemisphere.
16. Fish are more scared of their own reflection than a real predator.
17. The Gelae genus of slime mold beetles includes Gelae baen, Gelae belae, Gelae donut, Gelae fish and Gelae rol.
18. The splash tetra is a fish that jumps out of the water and lays its eggs on the leaves of trees.
19. Some species of fish have voices!
20. Hagfish eat by attaching themselves to dead animals and tying themselves in knots!
22. A marine catfish can taste with any part of its body.
23. Some species of fish have voices.
24. Most lipstick contains fish scales.
25. The Dutch Crown jewels are made of fake pearls, fish scales and coloured foil.
26. Fish communicate with each other by rasping their teeth to make sounds in their throat, or by using their swim bladder to create sounds
27. A tuna fish can swim 100 miles in a single day!
28. The northern pearleye is a fish with two retinas in each eye, and both male and female genitalia.
29. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
30. There's a species of fish called 'slippery dick.'
31. Koi fish can live for hundreds of years
32. The lungfish can live out of water for three years in a state of suspended animation.
33. The glass catfish earns its name from its transparent flesh. You can see through to its skeleton and internal organs.
34. Mudskippers are fish with legs that can walk on land!
35. Man-made dams have fish ladders to allow the fish to continue their natural migration upstream.
36. A 2010 study found that straight male narcissists reserve the worst of their selfish behavior for straight women.
37. 385 million years ago, fish had fingers.
38. Mudskippers are fish with suction cups on their bellies that allow them to climb trees.
39. Viking names included ‘desirous of beer’, ‘squat-wiggle’, ‘lust-hostage’, ‘short penis’, ‘able to fill a bay with fish by magic’, ‘the man who mixes his drinks’ and ‘the man without trousers’.
40. There are 42 states with an official state fish
41. Fish scales are used in lipstick to make it shimmer and reflect light.
42. The flatfish has both of its on eyes on the same side of its face.
43. Flashlight fish have lights under their eyes. The lights are actually glowing bacteria!
44. Modern fishing lines can be up to 75 miles long.
45. Black Swallower fish are capable of swallowing prey up to 10 times their weight.
46. The slowest moving fish is the sea horse.
47. During an experiment at New York University, a robotic fish was accepted by other fish and became their leader.
48. If you feed fish prawn-cocktail Skips, they turn pink.
49. Goldfish lose their color if they are kept in dim light or are placed in a body of running water, such as a stream.
50. Goldfish remember better in cold water than warm water.
51. Pufferfish are poor swimmers but can quickly ingest tons of water to turn themselves into an inedible ball several times their normal size
52. People who eat fish at least once a week have thicker, stronger and more resilient brains.
53. A goldfish is the only animal that can see both infrared and ultraviolet light.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Vultures can turn a dead body into a skeleton in under five hours.
The world’s largest and most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton is called Sue.