248 Stunning Lion Facts
1. The world collectively spent $1,735 billion on war in 2012 -- It would take about $195 billion to totally eradicate poverty.
2. The Human whipworm can be found in the intestines of about 400 million people worldwide.
3. When lions walk, their heels don't touch the ground.
4. The largest known prime number is 17 million digits long.
5. 100 million pounds of peppers are harvested for Sriracha sauce every year.
6. "Juno" earned back its initial budget of $6.5 million in twenty days, the first nineteen of which were when the film was in limited release.
7. The heart pumps about 1 million barrels of blood during an average lifetime.
8. A proton-sized black hole would weigh 652 million tons.
9. if ur sad and lonely just remember there are billions of cells in your body and all they give a dam about is u
10. About 1620 trillion raindrops fall during a typical storm.
11. 3.5 million people in the world are still paying for a dial-up AOL internet connection.
12. Americans throw away 30 billion foam cups, 220 million tires, and 1.8 billion disposable diapers every year.
13. The founder of WhatsApp went from an immigrant on welfare to selling his app for $19 Billion in 21 years.
14. According to the CDC, as many as 110 million Americans have STDs at any given time.
15. It takes 200 years for a human to count to 7 billion out loud.
16. Alcohol kills 2.5 million people every year.
17. Over 80 international brands feature the word ‘Maasai’. Collectively worth billions, none has sought permission from the Maasai people.
18. More than 2 million Americans live on less than $2 a day.
19. There are an estimated 77.7 million cats in the U.S.
20. Every atom in your body is billions of years old.
21. Most lions drink water daily if available, but can go four or five days without it.
22. It cost $750 million to develop the three-bladed razor.
23. The "Fifty Shades of Grey" trailer was the most-watched trailer of 2014, with over 100 million views in just over a week.
24. The numbers of elderly Americans in poverty are estimated to increase from 8.9 million in 2010 to 25 million in 2050â€”an increase of 180%.
25. 64 billion messages are sent through Whatsapp every day.
26. The oldest-known parasitic worm was found protruding from the backside of a 25-million-year-old cockroach.
27. There are about 2.5 billion '˜likes' on Instagram daily.
28. There are more statues of lions in the world than there are real lions.
29. Over 1 billion people every night go to bed hungry.
30. The UK retail industry makes £250 million a year from gift cards that no one redeems.
31. Between 2006 and 2015, top-grossing films about women made almost $45.5 million more at the box office than top-grossing films about men.
32. Floyd Mayweather (boxer) had just two fights in 2012, spending less than one hour in the ring, and earned $85 million.
33. Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second.
34. STDs cost the U.S. health care system $17 billion every year.
35. A burning candle creates 1,5 million tiny diamonds per second.
36. The city of Colma, CA has 1,000 times more dead residents than living: 1,400 living and 1.5 million dead.
37. The U.S. Army uses 1.5 billion rounds of ammunition a year; Call of Duty players use 1.5 billion rounds every 17 hours.
38. There are roughly 10 million more baby boys than girls born worldwide each year.
39. There are roughly 44 million tiny bubbles in a bottle of champagne.
40. A million dollars' worth of $100 bills weighs only 22 pounds.
41. Only 1 more day to go until millions of people join the gym for a week.
42. Lions can go 5 to 6 days without drinking water.
43. The most popular beverage in the world is coffee, with more than 400 billion cups consumed each year.
44. From the movie The Lion King, Pumbaa was the 1st character to ever fart in a Disney movie.
45. Ants evolved from wasp-like ancestors in the mid-Cretaceous period between 110 and 130 million years ago.
46. There are 40 to 42 million prostitutes at work worldwide.
47. The probability of living past 110-years-old is about one in seven million.
48. The average male lion weighs around 180 kg (400 lb) while the average female lion weighs around 130 kg (290 lb).
49. As of 2014, American college students owe $1.08 trillion in student loans. This amount exceeds American credit card and auto loan debt.
50. Every single one of your ancestors going back millions of years has successfully passed on life.
51. A typical cumulus cloud contains 1.1 million pounds of water.
52. 98% of the 7 billion atoms in the human body are replaced every year.
53. "Call of Duty: Black Ops II" has over 916 million hours played, which adds up to a little more than 104,000 years.
54. In 2007, deceased rapper Tupac Skakur earned $9 million â€” more than 50 Cent and Eminem combined.
55. Bruce Wayne is the 7th richest fictional character with a net worth of approximately $6.8 billion.
56. Americans consume 10 billion donuts every year.
57. 10 percent of the world's 3.5 trillion photos have been taken in the last year.
58. If everyone in the world washed their hands properly, we could save more than 1 million lives a year.
59. Hinduism worships over 33 million gods or demigods.
60. 13.6 million Americans live with a serious mental illness.
61. It is estimated that between 1981 and 1994, Princess Diana spent $2 million dollars on clothes.
62. A lion's roar can be heard from more than five miles away.
63. Replacing dollar bills with dollar coins could save taxpayers $4.4 billion over 30 years.
64. The probability of you being born was about 1 in 400 trillion.
65. Estimates for the total number of people killed in wars throughout all of human history range from 150 million to 1 billion.
66. 200 million Pumpkin Spice Lattes were sold between 2004 and 2013.
67. In America, there are approximately 270 million firearms possessed by civilians, and only less than a million carried by police.
68. Absenteeism and decreased productivity from alcohol hangovers cost the U.S. economy $148 billion every year.
69. Daylight Saving Time costs the U.S. an estimated $434 million in lost productivity and decreased health.
70. A lion pride is usually led by 1 or 2 males, but the females are the main hunters.
71. Your body creates 2.4 million new red blood cells every second.
72. Before he was famous, Sylvester Stallone had a job as a lion cage cleaner.
73. About as many horses were killed on the Western Front in WWI as people (8 million).
74. Every day, 7,000 students drop out of high school â€“ more than 1.2 million a year.
75. The Amazon is home to an estimated 390 billion trees and 16,000 diverse tree species.
76. Baller Thug that "made it" big time. Originally refered ball players that made it out of the streets to make millions as a pro ball player
77. A girl abducted in Africa was saved from her attackers and defended for about half a day by three lions.
78. It costs about $2 million USD to make each episode of Family Guy.
79. 'Nothing' has over 1.7 billion search results.
80. You blink more than 10 million times a year.
81. In the movie Lion King, it took approximately three years to animate the two-and-a-half-minute wildebeest stampede scene.
82. The horseshoe crab has been around for 200 million years.
83. The U.S. economy generates about $33 million per minute in income.
84. The Kardashian women have a total of 98.3 million Instagram followers.
85. Lions are the second largest big cat species in the world (behind tigers).
86. Lions can run at a top speed of 36 miles (58 kilometers) an hour.
87. Lions usually live in groups, known as 'Prides'.
88. The ability to digest alcohol occurred around 10 million years ago and many researchers believe it played a key role in evolution.
89. This year, a 30-second Superbowl commercial costs $4 million, up from 3.5 million last year and $42,000 in 1967, according to Time.
90. The total amount of adrenaline in half a million people weighs 1∕30th of an ounce.
91. Cuba Gooding, Jr. was a backup dancer for Lionel Richie.
92. In 32 years. there are about 1 billion seconds.
93. Tuberculosis killed 1.5 million people worldwide in 2014, making it a larger cause of death than AIDS.
94. If the DNA in your body was stretched out, it would be 500 million miles long
95. One gallon (4 liters) of gasoline has about 31 million calories.
96. 50 Cent has set a goal of feeding 1 billion people in the third world by 2016.
97. Chewbacca’s voice was created by combining the sounds of a bear, a walrus, a lion and a badger.
98. $41 billion worth of gift cards have likely gone unredeemed from 2005 to 2011.
99. About 65 billion neutrinos pass through your fingernail every second.
100. UPS delivery trucks save 10 million gallons of gas every year by making no left turns.
101. You live your billionth second when you are 31 years old.
102. Rats breed so quickly that in 18 months two rats could have a million descendants.
103. "Hakuna Matata" the term used in Disney movie Lion King is actually a Swahili phrase which means 'there are no worries'.
104. Mr. Bean played Zazu in The Lion King.
105. You will experience your billionth second of life when you are 31-years-old.
106. The 10,000 trillion ants in the world weigh about the same as all the human beings.
107. The PokÃ©mon franchise is worth over $24 billion.
108. Americans spend around $500 million on Twinkies every year.
109. Despite being pulled from many major theater chains, "The Interview" made $1 million on its opening day.
110. Over your life, you take 850 million breaths.
111. Snoop Dogg (Snoop Lion) refuses to perform in any venue unless he has a supply of 80 blunts and more.
112. If everyone in America scrounged up their loose change and put it together, they would have $15 billion.
113. In the wild, lions rest for around 20 hours a day.
114. Male lions begin to grow their manes at about 18 months old.
115. The Pentagon is successfully hacked 250,000 times a year, and unsuccessfully hacked 10 million times a day.
116. More than 200 million people were unemployed worldwide in 2013.
117. In the fiscal year of 2014, the U.S. government spent over $49 million per hour in interest on its debt.
118. The Iraq war cost the U.S. at least $1.9 trillion, or $6,300 per U.S. citizen.
119. African lions are headed toward extinction and may be wiped out soon.
120. The lion used in the originial MGM movie logo killed its trainer and two assistants the day after the logo was filmed
121. The UK spent the equivalent of $15.8 billion USD in a health service computer system that failed and was shut down in 2013.
122. In 2010, the Catholic Church had an income of $97 billion.
123. The opening weekend of "Furious 7" ($384 million) made more than "The Fast and the Furious" made in its whole run ($207 million).
124. 1 in 14 people said they would murder someone for 10 million dollars cash.
125. At any given moment, there are an estimated 108 million people on a diet in the U.S.
126. Approximately 100 billion people have lived on earth.
127. People actually spend $42.5 billion per year trying to color gray hair. Americans spend less than this every year on diet products.
128. In the first draft of The Lion King, Scar wanted Nala to be his queen.
129. The 3.4 million coins in the longest-ever line of coins stretched for over 40 miles.
130. Some women have "super vision" - they can see 100 million colors instead of the 1 million most of us can see due to a genetic mutation.
131. Nearly 1 billion people throughout the world will go to bed hungry tonight.
132. It takes a million cloud droplets to make one raindrop.
133. In 2014 alone, smokers lit up more than 5.8 trillion cigarettes.
134. Every year, millions of trees grow thanks to squirrels forgetting where they buried their nuts.
135. Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.
136. 56 billion farm animals are killed every year.
137. The human brain takes in 11 million bits of information every second, but is only aware of 40.
138. Grasshoppers cause billions of dollars in damage to food crops annually, worldwide.
139. Human trafficking brings in an estimated $32 billion a year.
140. 100 million years ago, a day took 21 instead 24 hours.
141. If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion.
142. The number of words posted on Twitter each day would fill a 10-million page book.
143. Judge Judy earns $47 million a year, while a Supreme Court judge earns $244,000.
144. A person's mere presence in a room can add 37 million bacteria to the air every hour.
145. Snapchat is now valued at $15 billion. Twitter is valued at $30B.
146. Over 300 million children worldwide have no shoes, exposing them to soil-transmitted parasites and diseases.
147. For every human in the world, there are one million ants.
148. McDonalds has an estimated daily income of 60 million dollars or $59,178,080.00 to be exact.
149. In the US, there are 18.6 million empty homes and 3.5 million homeless people. That means that every homeless American can own 6 houses.
150. Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breathe.
151. It is the female lion who does more than 90 percent of the hunting, while the male is afraid to risk his life, or simply prefers to rest.
152. If an alien in a galaxy 65 million light years away is looking at us through a telescope right now, then they are looking at dinosaurs.
153. Collectively, teenagers in the U.S. spend about $43 billion every year.
154. If everyone in the world washed their hands properly, we could save 1 million lives a year.
155. The Cowardly Lion costume from "The Wizard of Oz" weighed 90 pounds.
156. Archaeologists just discovered 3.3 million year old stone tools that were used by our ancestors.
157. Bees have to visit 5 million flowers to make a jar of honey.
158. If you had one billion dollars and spent $1,000 every day, it would take 2,749 years for you to spend it all.
159. Americans spend about $65 billion a year on soda.
160. It costs about $2 million to make an episode of Family Guy.
161. Ants began farming about 50 million years before humans thought to raise their own crops.
162. The poop from one million Americans could contain as much as $2.6 million in gold and silver, according to scientists.
163. Robert Downey Jr. only made $500k for Iron Man, but two years later made 10 million for Iron man 2.
164. Baltimore has paid out 'almost $6 million in police brutality settlements over the course of a few years.
165. The first verbal conversation between early humans was probably about tool-making and likely occured between 2.5 and 1.8 million years ago.
166. If everyone in the world washed their hands properly, a million lives could be saved every year.
167. Lion tamers use chairs because lions can only focus on one thing at a time and the 4 legs of the chair confuses them.
168. A full Kindle weighs a billionth of a billionth of a gram more than a brand-new one.
169. So far, man has survived on earth for 2 million years. The dinosaurs lasted 150 million years.
170. The two brothers who invented the Hot Pocket sold the company for $2.6 billion.
171. 23.5 million Americans live in food deserts, areas devoid of ready access to healthy foods.
172. There are over 58 million dogs in the U.S.
173. The Family Guy franchise is worth $2 billion.
174. Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
175. Lions can get hairballs the size of footballs.
176. Americans have a 1 in 35 million chance of becoming infected with HIV from a blood transfusion.
177. 15 billion cigarettes are smoked worldwide every day.
178. 20 million trees are cut down every year to make chopsticks.
179. Lions, tigers, and pumas rarely suffer from hairballs since their diet includes a fair amount of grass, as well as the bones of their prey.
180. The days were only 18 hours long a billion years ago.
181. The U.S. Government spends US$1.8 billion per year printing documents.
182. About 1 out of every 2 million people will die by falling out of bed
183. An estimated one BILLION birds die each year in the U.S. from smashing into windows. (There are 5-20 billion birds total.)
184. There are an estimated 3 million first dates every day worldwide.
185. Of the 247 BILLION email messages sent every day, 81% are pure spam.
186. Around 360 million glasses of champagne are consumed over the holidays.
187. Around 42 million American adults have had more than one marriage '” that's 20 million more than in 1980.
188. The chances of you dying by laughter are 15 billion to 1
189. A honey bee must hit 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey.
190. The CIA once spent $20 million on a cat equipped with gear to spy on the Soviets, but it was hit by a taxi and died.
191. One glass of champagne contains around 1 million bubbles.
192. Disney was sued by a biologist for defaming the character of hyenas in The Lion King.
193. Lions live on average 12-16 years in the wild and about 25 years in captivity.
194. There are 284 million monthly active users on Twitter. $TWTR
195. There are more than £100-million worth of 1p coins in circulation in the UK.
196. The words written on Twitter every day would fill a 10-million page book.
197. $83 billion in productivity is lost each year to depression in the U.S., according to a study.
198. If you had 1 billion dollars and spent $25,000 a day, it would take you 110 years to spend it all.
199. Most diamonds are at least 3 billion years old.
200. About 108 billion people have lived on earth.
201. In the 80s, Weird Al turned down $5 million dollars to promote a beer brand, since a lot of his fans were "young and impressionable."
202. Every day an adult body produces 300 billion new cells.
203. Top Gear has an estimated global audience of 350 million and reportedly makes the BBC Â£50 million ($74,465,250) a year.
204. One in every 30 million lobsters is yellow.
205. It takes 300 years for a human to count to 10 billion out loud.
206. The "Clash of Clans" game makes more than $1 million a day.
207. There is a bottle of vodka that costs $3.75 Million, and is filtered through sand made from crushed diamonds and gems.
208. The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint - no two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.
209. The pornography industry is a $97 billion business worldwide.
210. Over 56 billion animals are killed each year.
211. Your heart beats 100,000 times a day, 35 million times a year.
212. The US retail industry makes US$6.8 billion a year from gift cards that no one redeems.
213. Americans spend approximately $25 billion each year on beer.
214. Monthly, there are about 7.6 million tweets about marijuana, and there are 15 pro-pot tweets for every anti-pot tweet.
215. The odds of you existing are the same as 2 million people rolling trillion-sided dice and all landing on the same number.
216. Amazon has been estimated to alter its prices more than 2.5 million times daily.
217. Every year, women lose approximately 1.73 billion bobby pins.
218. In Kentucky, there exists more barrels of Bourbon whiskey (4.8 million) than people (4.2 million).
219. 54 million people that are alive right now will be dead within 12 months.
220. One trillion seconds is about 32,000 years.
221. An adult human body is made up of around 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (7 octillion) atoms.
222. If attacked, a lionfish delivers a potent venom via its needle-like dorsal fins.
223. "#selfie" was first used on Instagram in 2011, and has been used more than 80 million times since then.
224. More than 50 billion chickens are killed for food every year.
225. Archaeologists found a mysterious burial of over a million mummies and one mummy was over 7ft tall.
226. 31 million Americans skip breakfast every day.
227. A lion can mate more than 50 times in one day
228. The human eye can detect 10 million different shades of colour.
229. It would take 225 million years to walk a light year.
230. 1 billion seconds = 32 years.
231. More than 40 million Americans have tattoos, and 17% of those people are figuring out how to get them removed.
232. The CIA once spent $20 million on a cat equipped with gear to spy on the Soviets, but it was hit by a taxi.
233. Lionesses are more agile and faster than male lions.
234. Out of the roughly 850 million websites that exist today, 85-255 million of them are porn sites.
235. Both male and female lions roar.
236. 3 billion cups of tea are consumed each day worldwide.
237. The collective name for a group of Lions is a pride.
238. In 2013, 59% of Americans played video games and consumers spent $21.5 billion on the gaming industry.
239. The roar of a lion can be heard from 8 kilometers (5.0 miles) away.
240. Lions in the wild live for around 12 years.
241. There are about 350 million Snapchats sent every day.
242. Lions are the only members of the cat family (Felidae) with manes.
243. 1.6 billion people â€” a quarter of humanity â€” live without electricity.
244. Only male lions have manes.
245. 3 million kids are absent from school each month because they fear bullies.
246. Lions are the only member of the cat family to have a tassel at the tip of their tail.
247. 36 million cows and calves are slaughtered annually in the U.S.
248. The human body has 100 trillion cells, each one a 10,000th the size of a pinhead but containing enough DNA instructions to fill 1,000 600-page books.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.