Fascinating Mammal Facts
1. Dogs have developed bigger brains than cats because highly social species of mammals need more brainpower than solitary animals.
2. The rat has been called the world's most destructive mammal - other than man.
3. The elephant is one of the few mammals that can't jump.
4. Humans are the only mammals with permanently swollen breasts - other animals only have them when nursing.
5. The larger a mammal's brain, the greater its tendency to play.
6. The fastest air mammal is the big brown bat, which can fly as fast as 15.5 miles per hour
7. Bats are the only mammals that can fly.
8. The bison is the largest land mammal native to the Western Hemisphere, reaching heights of over 6 feet and weighing more than 750 pounds.
9. Humans are the only mammals that engage in warfare.
10. Mammals in true hibernation wake up every week or so to warm up for a while before going back to sleep.
11. Humans are the only mammals that can't swallow and breathe at the same time.
12. The largest land mammal ever was Paraceratherium, an 18 foot tall prehistoric rhinoceros.
Trending in Animals
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.
Vultures can turn a dead body into a skeleton in under five hours.