Random Ostrich Facts
1. To keep cool, ostriches urinate on their legs
2. The immune system of an adult ostrich is one of the most advanced among mankind.
3. An ostrich egg can weigh about 3 pounds. That's equivalent to 2 dozen chicken eggs.
4. Ostriches cannot fly but they can outrun a racehorse
5. One stride of an ostrich covers between 10 to 16 feet.
6. Ostriches can be called a true dinosaur since ostrich skeletons and fossils have been found that date back to 120 million years.
7. Approximately eleven and a half omelettes can be made with a single Ostrich egg.
8. Ostriches can run as fast as racehorses.
9. It takes up to four hours to hard boil an ostrich egg.
10. Ostrich cannot fly but are strong runners. They can sprint up to 43 miles (70 kilometers) an hour.
11. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
12. One ostrich egg has 200 grams of protein, the same amount as four t-bone steaks.
13. The Ostrich is the largest living bird in the world.
14. A female ostrich shows remarkable ability to recognize her own eggs even when mixed in with those of other females in their communal nest.
15. Contrary to popular belief, ostriches do not bury their heads in the sand.
16. Ostrich only have two toes?all other birds have three or four toes.
17. In ancient Egypt, Queen Arsinoe rode an Ostrich with a saddle.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.