52 Top Pet Facts
1. For the premier of Pinocchio, Disney hired 11 little people to dress like puppets and wave to kids - They got drunk and ran around naked.
2. If a pet owner dies in their house, a dog will wait several days to eat the corpse â€“ A cat will only wait two days.
3. The energy released by a bolt of lightning is about the same as that stored in 30 gallons of petrol.
4. Every year, $1.5 billion is spent on pet food. This is four times the amount spent on baby food.
5. According to a recent study, men who have an older sister are less likely to be competitive.
6. Some tarantulas are known for keeping small frogs as pets â€” the frogs eat insects that prey upon tarantula eggs.
7. Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.
8. Baboons have been known to kidnap puppies and raise them as pets.
9. In Nevada, a bill has been introduced that will allow pet owners to give their dogs marijuana to alleviate illnesses.
10. PETA tries to dissuade people from eating eggs by referring to them as "chicken periods."
11. Salvador Dalí had a pet anteater.
12. People who connect through their pets are more likely to look out for each other in times of adversity, according to research.
13. Alcohol is considered a performance-enhancing drug in gun competitions.
14. The Empress Josephine had a pet orang-utan that joined her for dinner dressed in a white cotton blouse.
15. The happiest pet owners are those that have fish, according to research.
16. Cuddling with pets causes the release of the feel-good hormones like oxytocin and dopamine, and releases the same hormones in the pets.
17. "Semantic satiation" occurs when a word loses its meaning and looks or sounds like gibberish because of constant repetition.
18. Owning a pet improves your quality of life, enhances your happiness and adds years to your lifespan.
19. The 2 most effective treatments for battling depression are exercise and spending more time with pets.
20. You can buy a pet fox for about $9,000.
21. Dorothy Parker had a pet canary she called Onan because he spilled his seed on the ground.
22. Zac Efron accidentally dropped a condom on the red carpet at the premiere of "The Lorax."
23. When threatened, a limpet can run away at a speed of two inches an hour.
24. Kindness and competence are universally sought-after personality traits in all cultures and contexts.
25. Between 1912 and 1948, art competitions were part of the olympics. Medals were awarded for architecture, music, painting and sculpture.
26. Puck, a parrot owned by Camille Jordan of Petaluma, CA had a vocabulary of 1728 words when it died in 1994
27. A child growing up in the U.S. is more likely to have a pet than a live-at-home father.
28. Owning a pet improves quality of life, enhances happiness and adds years to your lifespan.
29. 67% of dog owners buy holiday gifts for their pets
30. In New York, there is a new regulation that makes it legal for pet owners to be buried with their deceased animals in pet cemeteries.
31. Anton Chekhov had a pet mongoose.
32. Pupaphobia is the fear of puppets.
33. The expression ‘flash mob’ was first used in 1832 and meant a group of petty criminals.
34. To save money on the first "Saw" film, the director handcrafted Billy the Puppet out of papier mÃ¢chÃ© and toilet paper tubes.
35. When we pet our pets, oxytocin is released in our brains, making us feel happier.
36. Semantic Satiation is a phenomenon when a word loses its meaning temporarily because of constant repetition.
37. Petting a cat can help lower blood pressure, not just for humans, but for the cat also.
38. The slow loris is becoming endangered; poachers capture them and sell them as pets illegally. Thanks for the tip
39. why is peter pan always flying?
I like this joke because it never grows old.
40. 86% of surveyed dog owners report that they use a pet as their screensaver more than anything else in their life.
41. As a child, Mozart was terrified of trumpets.
42. Pets can now get cosmetic testicle implants called Neuticles so that they can avoid the self esteem and trauma from castration.
43. 12/12/12 was the last repetitive date you saw in your lifetime.
44. Salvador Dali had a pet Ocelot, named Babou.
45. ISIS used to be a part of Al-Qaida, but now they compete with them.
46. Tricking someone into viewing obscene material online is a crime that could land the perpetrator 10 years in prison.
47. From 2009 to 2013 the US government has spent $1.1 million on puppets.
48. People who climb the ladder of social status through competitive, aggressive behavior have an increased risk of a shorter life.
49. 45% of cat owners buy a holiday gift for their pet
50. The scent that lingers after a nice rain is called "petrichor."
51. Time anxiety occurs in a person when they are perpetually afraid of being late, or of others being late.
52. Marijuana is illegal today is because cotton growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers - they saw them as competitors.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.