34 Stunning Spider Facts
1. Spiders have transparent blood.
2. Spiders can spin webs in zero-gravity.
3. Spiders use hydraulic pressure in their legs to move. When they die, the liquid drains out, which is why their legs curl up.
4. 85% of "spider bites" are usually something else, like an infection of a flea bite.
5. The spider family Uloboridae does not produce venom. Instead, it crushes its prey to death.
6. All spiders have fangs.
7. Hugh Hefner has a zoo license. Among his many pets are peacocks and spider monkeys.
8. Spiders seem bigger the more scared you are.
9. The "fact" about swallowing spiders in your sleep is a myth - in fact, it was made up in 1993 to see how quickly the myth would spread.
10. Some mushrooms are carnivorous. They eat spiders and roundworms.
11. Never step on spiders. You could be stepping on a female with eggs, and they'll stick to your shoes and hatch all over your car and house.
12. Daddy longlegs are not actually spiders and have no venom.
13. Peacocks are ground feeders.They hunt for small animals, like spiders, reptiles & amphibians, in tall grasses and minnows in shallow streams
14. Not all spiders spin webs.
15. More than 43,000 spider species are known, and at least that many remain undiscovered.
16. One species of wolf spider "purrs" to potential mates by standing on a thin surface, like a leaf, and vibrating it until it makes a sound.
17. Spiders hate peppermint oil. Put some in a squirt bottle + water and spray your garage and all door frames
18. 95% of the spiders in your house have never been outside.
19. Sea spiders are known to live as deep as 23,000 feet below the surface of the ocean.
20. There are more than 30,000 species of spiders.
21. You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than a poisonous spider!
22. On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
23. The water spider lives underwater but breathes air by using its web to create an underwater sac that stores air bubbles.
24. Spiders hate peppermint oil. Put some in a squirt bottle with water, spray your garage and all door frames, then watch the spiders run!
25. People frightened of spiders are likely to perceive them as larger and closer than they actually are.
26. You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than a poisonous spider.
27. Spiders are not insects, spiders have 8 legs while insects only have 6 legs.
28. Spiders belongs to the class Arachnida while insects are found in the Insecta class.
29. Harrison Ford has a species of spider named after him!
30. Spiders hate peppermint oil. Put some in a squirt bottle with water, spray your garage and all door frames, then watch the spiders run
31. You are statistically more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
32. UK house spiders include the Pink Prowler, the Spitting Spider and the Missing Sector Orb Weaver.
33. A spider's silk is stronger than steel.
34. The average human has a bigger fear for spiders than for the death.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.