44 Stunning Whale Facts
1. Grey whales always mate in a threesome: two males to one female.
2. The blue whale has a heart the size of a small car and its blood vessal is so wide, that a person could swim through it.
3. Black Whales are born white.
4. The Blue Whale's tongue weighs more than an adult elephant.
6. Some whales commit suicide.
7. At 188 decibels, the whistle of the blue whale is the loudest sound produced by any animal.
8. Baby whales grow at an average rate of 10lbs per hour!
9. Whale oil was used in automobile transmissions as late as 1973.
10. At 188 decibels, the whistle of the blue whale is the loudest sound produced by any animal
11. Whale vomit can be worth $5,000+ per pound.
12. Most cigarettes contain 'ambergris' (whale vomit) for added flavor.
13. A small child could swim through the veins of a blue whale.
14. Baby blue whales drink almost 60 gallons of milk in a day and gain 194 pounds every 24 hours.
15. A killer whales heart beats 30 times a minute under water, 60 times a minute on the surface.
16. Whale's vomit is worth $5,000+ per pound.
17. Most elephants actually weigh less than the tongue of a blue whale
18. Blue whales can get a tan.
19. Whale’s vaginas can be large enough to walk through.
20. Whales can’t taste anything but salt.
21. A killer whale's heart beats 30 times a minute under water, 60 times a minute on the surface.
22. Gray whales were once known as 'devilfish,' due to the ferocity with which a female gray whale will protect its young.
23. Study suggests that whales were evolved from ancient species of wolves.
24. In one breath, a blue whale can blow up 2,000 balloons.
25. Whale milk has the consistency of toothpaste.
26. Baby whales grow at an average rate of 10lbs per hour.
27. Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of a blue whale.
28. The Blue Whale's tongue weighs more than an adult elephant!
29. Whales can suffer from sunburns.
30. Whales commit suicide.
31. The blue whale is maintained by its blubber and can go up to half a year without eating.
32. People have been hunting the Northern right whale for over 1000 years!
33. Blue Whales weigh as much as 30 elephants and are as long as three greyhound buses.
34. The water in a blue whale's mouth weighs as much as its entire body.
35. Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of a blue whale
36. A newborn blue whale puts on 14 stone every day.
37. A blue whale's aorta (the main blood vessel) is large enough for a human to crawl through.
38. A blue whale's heart is the size of a Volkswagen Beetle!
39. The mouth of a blue whale is so massive, it can hold its own body weight in water.
40. One of the only ways to tell the age of a whale is to count the rings in its earwax.
41. The ingredient used in perfumes to help its smell stay longer on your skin is actually whale's vomit also known as Ambergris.
42. Grey whales only mate in threesomes.
43. The roar from the T-Rex in Jurassic Park is a baby elephant mixed with a tiger and an alligator, and its breath is a whale's blow.
44. The water in the mouth of a blue whale weighs as much as its entire body.
Trending in Animals
54 Bear Facts
Theodore Roosevelt had guinea pigs called Admiral Dewey, Bishop Doane, Dr Johnson, Father O’Grady and Fighting Bob Evans, and a small bear called Jonathan Edwards.
Reindeer have golden eyes in summer and blue eyes in winter.
You can tell if a duck has bird flu by smelling its droppings.
Coyotes in the US have learnt how traffic lights work so they can cross the road safely.
Chimpanzees can identify each other by looking at photographs of their bottoms.
Lizards can’t breathe and walk at the same time.
The giant palm salamander can stick its tongue out 50 times faster than you can blink.
Seahorses beat their fins almost as fast as hummingbirds beat their wings.