Random New York City Facts
1. Bill Murray has been known to wander around New York City, randomly crashing parties and giving people fatherly advice.
2. Pinball Machines were illegal in New York City during 35 years around the same time as prohibition which led to "Pinball Speakeasies."
3. More people commit suicide in New York City than are murdered.
4. There are so many restaurants in New York City that someone could eat out every night of their life and never eat the same restaurant twice.
5. November 28, 2012 was the most peaceful day New York City ever hadâ€”not a single violent crime was reported.
6. If New York City were its own country and the NYPD was its army, it would be the twentieth-best-funded army in the world.
7. There are no Wal-Marts in New York City.
8. 25 November 2012 was the first day since 1960 that there was no murder or manslaughter in New York City.
9. The average Wall Street salary in 2012 was $360,700, the average salary in New York City was $69,200.
10. In New York City, police statistics show that approximately 1,600 people are bitten by other humans every year.
11. The average lifespan of a pointe shoe for the dancers in the New York City Ballet is 2 days, with 8,500 shoes used in a season.
Trending in Cities
45 London Facts
In 1849, the Viceroy of Egypt gave London Zoo a hippo in exchange for a greyhound.
It is illegal in Chicago for lawns to have weeds more than 10 inches tall.
There is only one stop sign in the whole of Paris.
In 2013, Detroit stopped issuing death certificates because it ran out of paper.
The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.
In ancient Rome, fathers had the legal right to kill their children.
In 19th-century Maryland, it was illegal to sell mineral water on a Sunday.