184 Random America Facts
1. The first person to legally own a slave in Colonial America was black.
2. America has never lost a war when donkeys were used.
3. In the past five years, at least six Americans have been shot by dogs.
4. An average of 11 Americans die at work every day.
5. More than seven people die from suicide every hour in the Americas.
6. American teachers are legally allowed to spank children in the classroom in 19 states.
7. Less than a quarter of Americans express confidence in the criminal justice system.
8. Americans spend more than $5.4 billion dollars on their pets each year.
9. 3 out of 4 Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.
10. 1 in 4 American dogs are overweight.
11. On average, Americans eat 3 hamburgers a week.
12. Each year approximately 250,000 American husbands are physically attacked and beaten by their wives
13. One in six American adults binge drink weekly.
14. The average American 3-year-old can recognize about 100 brand logos.
15. Native Americans lost their history, their land, their culture, and is one of the least discussed genocides in world history.
16. Portland has a higher percentage of literate people than any other major city in America.
17. Among young American adults aged 25-34, 17.7% of men and 11.7% of women live with their parents.
18. One in three Americans believe in ESP, or a sixth sense that allows a person to pick up on unseen things with their mind.
19. 53% of Americans say they are satisfied with the acceptance of gays and lesbians in the U.S.
20. New York is currently the most unhappy city in America.
21. White Americans are about 10% more optimistic about race relations than Black Americans are.
22. The average American eats 25 pounds (11.3 KG) of candy each year.
23. An American charity pays drug addicts roughly $300 to get sterilized.
24. The average American sees 16,000 advertisements, logos, and labels per day.
25. $43 is the average amount Americans spend on a first date.
26. Fortune cookies were actually invented in America, in 1918, by Charles Jung.
27. In colonial America, it was normal for people above the age of 15 to drink the equivalent of seven shots of alcohol per day.
28. About 15 to 25 percent of all Americans are supertasters, people who have more taste buds than the rest of us.
29. For 62% of Americans, success is defined by making a positive impact on the lives of others.
30. American cows produce four times as much milk as they did in 1942.
31. Money, work, economic outlook, family, and relationships are the most commonly cited sources of stress for Americans.
32. About 600 American patients catch fire during surgery every year.
33. Toothpicks are the objects most often choked on by Americans.
34. 1 in 4 Americans think God helps decide the outcome of football games.
35. One in every 4 Americans has appeared on television.
36. The typical American child will be exposed to 12,000 violent acts on television a year.
37. 46% of American adults can't read well enough to understand the label on their prescription medicine.
38. Most modern Americans crave self-respect more than feelings of security and belonging.
39. 50 to 60% of American teenage girls believe they are overweight, yet only 15 to 20% of them are actually overweight.
40. Nearly 4 in 10 Americans are afraid of walking alone at night within a mile of their home.
41. 75% of Americans have experienced at least one negative side effect of stress in the past month, with 37% feeling irritable or angry.
42. Over 50% of all single people in America have not had a date in more than two years.
43. Americans on average spend 18% of his or her income on transportation. Only 13% is spent on food
44. If you were drafted during the American Civil War, you could legally pay someone else $300 to go in your place.
45. In 2007, an American man named Corey Taylor tried to fake his own death in order to get out of his cell phone contract without paying a fee.
46. Tobacco is the leading cause of death in America, more than any other drug or alcohol. Yet, it is legal.
47. No American has died of old age since 1951.
48. 70% of Americans believe in the existence of the devil.
49. In 1820, the average American drank half a pint of whisky every day.
50. America has 19 aircraft carriersâ€”the rest of the world has 12 combined.
51. 20 percent of Americans never floss their teeth.
52. More than one-third of American babies are tapping on smartphones and tablets even before they learn to walk or talk, according to a study.
53. 51% of Americans surveyed say abortion should be legal in all or most cases.
54. 55% of Americans think they are smarter than the average American.
55. In 18th-century America, Thanksgiving was celebrated with a day of fasting and prayer.
56. 13 Americans have died as a result of laxative overdose.
57. American Civil War soldiers had a code of honor that forbade shooting at men while they were pooping.
58. More than 80,000 bartenders in America have university degrees.
59. A survey revealed that 15% of Americans find sarcasm to be an important quality in a relationship.
60. 64% of Americans believe that having a sense of humor is the most important quality for a successful relationship, a survey revealed.
61. In an American experiment, when showed gay porn, 80% of the homophobes had an erection compared to 34% of the non-homophobic subjects.
62. The name 'jaguar' comes from the Native American word "yaguar" meaning 'he who kills with one leap.'
63. The average American will eat 35,000 cookies in their lifetime.
64. Almost 1 in 5 Americans have been hacked.
65. The most misinformed Americans tend to be the most confident in their political views and are also the strongest partisans, research shows.
66. 3 out of 4 Americans store their dollar bills in rigid order with singles leading up to higher denominations.
67. American tank crews have a superstition that will not allow them to eat apricots, allow apricots on board or even say the word ‘apricot’.
68. Cast iron skillets used to be the leading source of iron in the American diet.
69. The average American spends approximately 90% of the time indoors.
70. Tesla Motors is the second oldest publicly listed American Automaker.
71. On average, Americans move to a new home 11 times in their life.
72. 47% of Americans say they cannot cover a $400 emergency expense without borrowing money or selling something.
73. American flags made in foreign countries are banned in the U.S. military.
74. 50% of all Americans live within 50 miles of where they grew up
75. 100 years ago, most Americans spent 43% of each day working just to get food. Now, they spend only 7% of each day doing so.
76. Until 1999, the American Heart Association warned the public not to eat fat, suggesting instead things like soft drinks and hard candy.
77. In 75% of American households, the women manage the money and pay the bills
78. A 2014 survey revealed that more than one-quarter of Americans ages 18 to 33 had quit a job because their co workers were rude to them.
79. According to one poll, 45% of Americans believe in ghosts or that the spirits of dead people can come back.
80. By 2050, the average American will be of mixed race.
81. By the time an average American child leaves school, they have seen over 40,000 murders on TV.
82. 5% of white American adults are natural blonds
83. 1 in 5 Americans say they have seen a ghost or felt in the presence of one.
84. The American Automobile Association was founded for the sole purpose of warning motorists of police speed traps.
85. The average American/Canadian drinks about 600 sodas a year.
86. On average, Americans consume 4 gallons of ice cream per person each year.
87. 90% of the thermostats in American offices don’t work.
88. In the American Depression, old tyres and fish skin were used as money.
89. Mexican households generate 30% more rubbish than American households.
90. The average American literally eats a ton of food each year â€” about 2,000 pounds.
91. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
92. American man Charles Osborne hiccuped continuously for 68 years, from 1922 to 1990.
93. Americans spend more than 5.4 billion dollars on their pets each year.
94. The average American eats about 50 tons of food and drinks 50,000 liters (11,000 gallons) of liquid during their life.
95. In 1830, the average American was consuming 1.7 bottles of hard liquor per week.
96. 90% of Americans expect a world disaster within the next 25 years.
97. 15% of Americans secretly bite their toe nails.
98. In 2014, just 24.5% of American 16-year-olds had a license, a 47-percent decrease from 1983, when 46.2% did.
99. 98% of American women are larger than fashion models.
100. Nearly 10% of Americans have gone to work while high on marijuana at least once.
101. Nigeria is estimated to exceed the U.S. in population by 2050, despite being one-tenth the size of America.
102. By the age of 70, the average American will have eaten the equivalent of 23 pigs, 14 cattle, and 12 sheep.
103. 50% of Americans give more thought to their outfit for the day than their breakfast.
104. The poorest Americans are still richer than 80% of the world.
105. There are more black people in jail now in America than were enslaved in 1850.
106. A quarter of American couples sleep in separate beds.
107. 70% of the silent movies made in America have been lost.
108. A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans.
109. As of 2014, most Americans state that walking alone at night is their number one fear.
110. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated, and 37% confuse thirst for hunger.
111. There are 192 million pet fish in America
112. 29 percent of Americans believes in astrology.
113. In 2007, 210,000 Americans were injured by lawnmowers.
114. In 2002, an American bomber attempted to plant 18 bombs which, when they exploded, would form a giant smiley face.
115. 1 in every 200 young American women claims to have experienced a "virgin pregnancy."
116. Every year, as many as 20% of Americans get sick with the flu, which can cause serious, even lethal complications.
117. 51 percent of Americans think bad weather affects cloud computing.
118. Six percent of Americans don't know how to ride a bike.
119. 1 in 8 Americans have worked at McDonald’s.
120. Being a shopaholic negatively affects more than one out of every 20 Americans.
121. 10% of Americans own a smartphone but do not have broadband internet at home, according to research.
122. Until 1913, children in America could legally be sent by parcel post.
123. Nearly one-third of Americans believe animals should have the same rights as people, a recent Gallup poll found.
124. 2.8 million American dogs are on antidepressants.
125. White Americans live, on average, about 4 years longer than Black Americans.
126. More than a third of the lobster dishes in American restaurants contain cheap seafood imitations in place of real lobster meat.
127. 92% of American children under age 2 have digital profiles and images of them posted online.
128. Einstein denounced segregation, calling it a "disease of white people" and worked against racism in America
129. Every year, the average meat-eating American ingests more than enough blood to fill a soda can
130. Nearly 10% of Americans say they have gone to work high on weed at least once.
131. The average American consumes 1.2 pounds of spider eggs a year and eat 2.5 pounds of insect parts a year.
132. Sideburns are named after American Civil War General, General Burnside, who had huge sideburns connected by a mustache.
133. If you are an average American you will spend 6 months of your life waiting at a stop light.
134. Over 95% of all Americans will be overweight or obese in two decades.
135. Almost 1% of American mothers claim to have been virgins when they gave birth.
136. Each year, zebras are responsible for more injuries to American zookeepers than any other animal.
137. In 1989, a new blockbuster store was opening in America every 17 hours.
138. According to the American Psychological Association, rural Americans are more likely to kill themselves than urban Americans.
139. The higher the income, the more likely an American man will cheat on his wife.
140. PokÃ©mon provides scholarship money to top finishers in their American and world championship leagues.
141. The average American spends a third of their overall time online playing games and using social networks.
142. 1 in 6 Americans over seven feet tall are professional basketball players.
143. Native Americans lost their history, their land, their culture in one of the least discussed genocides in world history.
144. 1 in 10 Americans has had their identity stolen.
145. Einstein denounced segregation, calling it a "disease of white people" and worked against racism in America.
146. 25% of Americans have appeared on TV at least once in their life.
147. The average American uses between 80 and 100 gallons of water a day, with toilet flushes being the largest use of water.
148. Americans buy 11 billion paper clips a year, which is about 35 clips for every person in the country.
149. Medical mistakes kill enough Americans each week to fill four 747s.
150. If you have no debts and £10 in your pocket, you are wealthier than a quarter of Americans.
151. 28% of Americans believe a secret elite is conspiring to run the world.
152. By the time they leave high school American children will have eaten 1,500 peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches.
153. Americans today work for the equivalent of one month more each year than they did in 1976.
154. The average American unknowingly breaks at least three federal criminal laws every day.
155. The average American produces 10,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime: about the same amount of water as leaks from the average American home in a year.
156. Black and White Americans use drugs at almost identical rates, but black people are 3 times for likely to be arrested for it.
157. America once issued a 5-cent bill.
158. Midcentury American lawyers spent 12 years arguing about what percentage of peanuts constitutes real peanut butter.
159. Not a single winning couple from any season of the American reality show "The Bachelor" have remained married.
160. 1/4 of Americans think god helps decide the outcome of football games.
161. Americans are as likely to be killed by their own furniture as by terrorism.
162. Economic inequality in America today is worse than it was in 1774, just before the American Revolution.
163. In the US today, prescription painkillers kill more Americans than heroin and cocaine combined.
164. Most SouthernAmericans make no phonic distinction between pen & pin & this is one of the most recognized features of Southern speech today.
165. The average American male lives about 3,962 weeks.
166. An American threw a rat into a pile of burning leaves and it ran into his house while still ablaze and burnt his house down.
167. The American giant water bug paralyzes its victim and then sucks the juices out of it.
168. A study found that 1 in 5 American pediatricians have dismissed families who refuse to vaccinate their children from their medical practice.
169. In 1859, a moral panic swept America over young people playing too much chess.
170. Americans have the most difficulty falling asleep on Sunday nights.
171. Marijuana is the most commonly used drug by people over the age of 12 in America.
172. 20% of all Americans families have no family member employed.
173. A study found that, in America, the average first and second grader has three times the recommended homework load.
174. 41 percent of Americans did not use any vacation days in 2014.
175. 52% of Americans cannot afford the house they are currently living in.
176. People in developing countries, such as Nigeria, are up to 5 times less likely to show clinically significant anxiety levels than Americans.
177. Leaving America with more than $5.00 in pennies is a crime that could land you in jail for five years.
178. About 30,000 Americans are injured by toilets every year.
179. Only 2% of the clothing sold in America is made in America.
180. In 2014, 66% of single American men and 50% of single American women reported that they had engaged in a one-night stand.
181. According to the American Psychological Association, men are more likely to kill themselves than women.
182. American kids are not getting fatter. Obesity rates are holding steady and have been for 9 years.
183. The average Canadian is now richer (for the first time in history) than the average American.
184. 40% of Americans iron their clothes while in their underwear or naked.
Trending in Countries
Toilet Duck, cellophane and the division sign (÷) were all invented in Switzerland.
In Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, there is only one flower shop.
From 1974 to 1976, Shirley Temple was US Ambassador to Ghana.
Greece is the only country in the world whose name contains none of the letters in the word ‘Olympiads’.
There are more people living in mobile homes in the US than live in the whole of the Netherlands.
Luxembourg is the only country in the world ruled by a Grand Duke.
Sexmoan, a small fishing town in the Philippines, changed its name in 1991 to Sasmuan.
In 2011, scientists re-measured Norway’s beaches, islands and fjords, adding 11,000 miles to its coastline.