51 Top Australia Facts
1. Dogs in Australia will lick toads to get high.
2. A 96-year old lady from Australia knitted over 1000 tiny sweaters for penguins to protect them from oil spills.
3. A new theory suggests that the Australian accent is actually the result of Australians continually getting drunk together.
4. In 1870, two million rabbits were killed every year in Australia, all descended from just 24 released in 1859.
5. Although Australia is the driest inhabited continent, Australians use more water than anyone else.
6. A woman in Australia faced a 14-year jail sentence for carrying pepper spray.
7. A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 5,000 years!
8. The floods in Australia in 2010 and 2011 caused the world’s sea levels to drop by seven millimetres.
9. 'Jedi' is an official religion, with over 70,000 followers, in Australia.
10. The minimum wage in Australia is $16.87 USD per hour.
11. Crop circles in Australia are caused by frenzied wallabies who get high in the poppy fields used to grow legal opium.
12. Vegemite is a popular spread in Australia and New Zealand. Vegemite is made from a brown yeast extract.
13. 1 in 20 Australians are millionaires.
14. There is a lake in Australia where the water is naturally pink.
15. A fire in Australia has been burning for more than 5,000 years.
16. There is a mountain in Australia named Mt. Disappointment because the explorers were unimpressed with the view from the top.
17. Tasmania is said to have the cleanest air in the world.
18. In Australia, "Black Friday" refers to a series of bushfires that wiped out whole towns and killed 71 people.
19. Cane toads were introduced to Australia to control insects, but w/o a natural predator, their population exploded
20. In 1979, NASA received a $400 littering ticket from Western Australia when pieces of Skylab fell on the region.
21. A species of earthworm in Australia grows up to 10 feet in length.
22. Australia has more than 10,000 beaches. If you visited one per day, it would take you more than 27 years to visit them all!
23. In 1954, Bob Hawke was immortalized by the Guinness Book of Records for chugging 2.5 pints of beer in 12 seconds.
24. Melbourne, Australia has an 8 p.m. curfew for cats.
25. The minimum wage in Australia is $16.33 USD per hour.
26. Australia attempted to control the feral rabbit population with a virus in 1950 - it killed 500 million rabbits in 2 years.
27. The minimum wage is Australia is $16.33 USD per hour.
28. In 2010, an Australian mother brought her premature son back to life with hugging and cuddling him for 2 hrs after doctors declared him dead
29. Australia’s first police force was composed of the best-behaved convicts.
30. In Australia, Burger King is called Hungry Jack's.
31. Australia has drop-off centers for deadly spiders, where they can be milked so the proper antivenom can be developed.
32. Before 1902, it was illegal for Australians to swim at the beach during the day.
33. Australian koalas are in danger of extinction because over half of them have chlamydia.
34. In 2013, a feral pig in Australia stole 18 beers from a campsite, got drunk, and then tried to fight a cow.
35. Fibers from the Australian native spinifex grass are being used to make condoms as thin as a human hair without any loss in strength.
36. The Australian $5,$10,$20,$50 and $100 notes are made out of plastic.
37. The oldest known ages for a fish was an Australian lungfish. It was alive and well at 65 years old.
38. You can order emu and crocodile pizza in Australia.
39. The minimum wage is Australia is $15.96/hr ($16.33 USD)
40. In Australia, there are ten times more camels than koalas.
41. Australian scientists have worked out how to kill malaria inside human cells at any life stage.
42. There are spiders big enough to eat snakes in Australia.
43. The largest lizard in Australia can run as fast as Usain Bolt.
44. The term "selfie" was allegedly coined during 2002 in Australia.
45. Houdini was the first man to fly a plane solo in Australia.
46. Australia's blue tongue skinks are lizards that give birth to live young instead of laying eggs.
47. $16 is the minimum wage in Australia.
48. The Church of Scientology runs a child labor camp in Australia.
49. In Australian slang, a "pash rash" is red, irritated skin that is the result of a make-out session with someone with a beard.
50. Australians have the highest rate of gambling in the world.
51. In 2006 an Australian attempted to sell New Zealand on eBay.
Trending in Countries
Toilet Duck, cellophane and the division sign (÷) were all invented in Switzerland.
In Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, there is only one flower shop.
95 China Facts
There are enough empty homes in China for everyone in the UK to have one each.
From 1974 to 1976, Shirley Temple was US Ambassador to Ghana.
Greece is the only country in the world whose name contains none of the letters in the word ‘Olympiads’.
There are more people living in mobile homes in the US than live in the whole of the Netherlands.
Luxembourg is the only country in the world ruled by a Grand Duke.
Sexmoan, a small fishing town in the Philippines, changed its name in 1991 to Sasmuan.
In 2011, scientists re-measured Norway’s beaches, islands and fjords, adding 11,000 miles to its coastline.