Interesting England Facts
1. French was the official language of England for over 600 years.
2. Kissing was banned in England in 1439.
3. A woman in England was run off a cliff by her own flock of sheep.
4. The state of Florida is bigger than England.
5. A 10-year old boy in England had to undergo emergency surgery to reattach his testicle after a wedgie.
6. Pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England that you could rent one for the evening to take to a party.
7. Farmers in England are required by law to provide their pigs with toys.
8. According to England’s leading brain surgeon, it is more dangerous to wear a cycle helmet than not to wear one.
9. Baseball was invented in England.
10. 40,000 dead velvet crabs washed up on the short of Kent in England on January 5th.
11. Toe wrestling is a sport in northern England.
12. In England, in the 1880's, "Pants" was considered a dirty word.
13. 37-stone Les Price was made to buy two tickets for his flight from Ireland to England, only to find that the seats weren’t in the same row.
14. Cheddar cheese was named after the city Cheddar in England.
15. Bitchfield is the name of a village in England.
16. Alfred Lyttelton, the first man to represent England at both cricket and football, was killed by a cricket ball.
17. In England, in the 1880's, 'Pants' was considered a dirty word.
18. ‘You have a turd in your teeth’ was a common insult in 17th-century England.
19. Bank robbers make 4 times as much money in England as they do in the US.
20. Baseball - the name and the game - was invented in England in the 1750s.
21. Ken Edwards of England holds the Guinness record for eating 36 cockroaches in one minute.
22. The longest cricket match took place in 1939 between England and South Africa, after 14 days it ended with a tie.
23. St George is the patron saint of England, leprosy and syphilis.
24. In 14th-century England, children were baptised in cider.
Trending in Countries
Toilet Duck, cellophane and the division sign (÷) were all invented in Switzerland.
In Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, there is only one flower shop.
95 China Facts
There are enough empty homes in China for everyone in the UK to have one each.
From 1974 to 1976, Shirley Temple was US Ambassador to Ghana.
Greece is the only country in the world whose name contains none of the letters in the word ‘Olympiads’.
There are more people living in mobile homes in the US than live in the whole of the Netherlands.
Luxembourg is the only country in the world ruled by a Grand Duke.
In some parts of Germany, it is illegal to show The Life of Brian on Good Friday.
Sexmoan, a small fishing town in the Philippines, changed its name in 1991 to Sasmuan.