172 Impressive Food Facts
1. Canola oil is actually rapeseed oil but the name was changed for marketing reasons!
2. More than half the foods advertised to kids on TV do not meet U.S. recommended government nutrition guidelines.
3. In 2004, The Japanese Ice Cream Association promoted ?raw horse flesh? ice cream in hopes that it would boost the popularity of ice cream!
4. 50% of U.S. pizzas are sold with pepperoni on them.
5. If you have a sore throat try eating a piece of cucumber. It cools down your throat and stops the itching.
6. The healthiness of the foods we eat decreases by 1.7% for every hour that passes in the day.
7. Avocados have more protein than any other fruit.
8. Eskimo ice cream is neither icy, or creamy!
9. No 2 cornflakes are identical!
10. At Costco, there is no limit on food samples.
11. Pound for Pound, hamburgers cost more than new cars!
12. The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches by the he/she graduates from high school.
13. No 2 cornflakes are identical.
14. A pound of potato chips costs 200 times more than a pound of potatoes.
15. When Alien was first screened to audiences, ushers fainted, people vomited, and some ran screaming from the theater.
16. A study found that the ice at fast food restaurants is dirtier than toilet water
17. Coffee beans aren't beans - they're fruit pits.
18. Tomatoes were originally thought to be poisonous.
19. A typical microwave oven uses more electricity keeping its digital clock on standby than it does heating food.
20. For 48 years after tinned food was invented people who wanted to eat it had to use a hammer and chisel. The can opener wasn't invented until 1858.
21. Honey is the only food that will not spoil.
22. There are no hog lips or snouts in SPAM.
23. Animals fed genetically engineered foods have suffered organ damage, tumors, birth defects, premature death and sterility.
24. David Tran, the creator of Sriracha, named his company 'Huy Fong Foods' in honor of the ship that helped him escape Vietnam in 1978.
25. The 'vintage date' on a bottle of wine indicates the year the grapes were picked, not the year of bottling!
26. White rice doesn't reach the minimum nutritional requirements for one serving of food as specified by the FDA.
27. Pancakes are commonly served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in Australia.
28. To find out if a watermelon is ripe, knock it, and if it sounds hollow then it is ripe.
29. Cast iron skillets used to be the leading source of iron in the American diet!
30. According to the National Onion Association, onion consumption in the U.S. has increased approximately 50% over the past 20 years.
31. The only vegetable that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh is lettuce.
32. Worcestershire Sauce is basically an Anchovy ketchup.
33. The taste of the fluid produced by beavers anal glands is like raspberry and it is used in food flavoring.
34. Female tarantulas can survive without food for 2 years.
35. It takes about a week to make a jelly bean.
36. Peanuts are one of the ingredients in dynamite.
37. By feeding hens certain dyes they can be made to lay eggs with multi-colored yolks.
38. The most popular Campbell's Soup in Hong Kong is watercress and duck gizzard.
39. McDonald's is the world's largest distributor of toys!
40. Apple seeds are poisonous!
41. Sweet potatoes were grown in peru as early as 750 BC.
42. If you want fresh fries at a fast food joint, order them without salt â€“ they have to make a new batch.
43. Pretzels were originally invented for Christian Lent.
44. There are more nutrients in the cornflake package itself than there are in the actual cornflakes.
45. If you have an idea for a new food at Taco Bell, they will try to make it for you if they have the ingredients.
46. A study found that fast food burgers were made up of only 12% meat. The rest was water weight, bone, cartilage, plant matter, and parasites.
47. Cashew nut shells contain oil that is extremely irritating to human skin.
48. Food can only be tasted if it is mixed with saliva.
49. The Japanese commonly put ketchup on their rice.
50. The average person eats 35 tons of food during their lifetime.
51. People kill about 1,776 animals for food every second of every day.
52. In the US, 45,000 hamburgers are eaten every minute.
53. The powder on chewing gum is finely-ground marble.
54. In 2003, the U.S. Government spent about $2,000,000.00 on potato research!
55. Each year 96 billion pounds of food is wasted in the U.S.
56. Apples are actually part of the rose family.
57. An apple, potato, and onion all taste the same if you eat them with your nose plugged.
58. The only food that cockroaches wont eat are cucumbers.
59. Baskin Robbins once made ketchup ice cream.
60. Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
61. There is a giant mushroom in Oregon that is over 2,400 years old, covers 3.4 square miles of land, and is still growing!
62. If you find a hair in your food and send it back to the kitchen, heavily salt it to make sure you got a new order
63. The average US citizen consumes 40 pounds of high fructose corn syrup each year
64. Onions have no flavor, only a smell.
65. A company in Taiwan makes dinnerware out of wheat, so you can eat your plate!
66. A mother dingo regurgitates food for her puppies.
67. Almost 50 percent of the entire edible food items manufactured are never consumed.
68. Pumpkin rule of thumb: the darker the shell, the longer the pumpkin lasts.
69. Smelling bananas and/or green apples (smelling, not eating) can help you lose weight!
70. The average American eats at McDonalds more than 1,800 times in their life.
71. During your lifetime, you'll eat about 60,000 pounds of food, that's the weight of about 6 elephants!
72. Ketchup was sold in the 1830's as medicine.
73. A U.S. study finds that more than 50% of fast-food workers depend on some form of government assistance.
74. Dandelion root can be roasted and ground as a coffee substitute.
75. Milk is heavier than cream.
76. Babies that are fed solid food before four months are 40 percent more likely to become obese, according to research.
77. A 2004 brain-imaging study revealed that even thinking about a favorite food triggered the release of dopamine.
78. Honey is used sometimes for antifreeze mixtures and in the center of golf balls.
79. Quitting junk foods actually produces changes in the brain similar to withdrawal from additive drugs
80. Octupus have been known to use coconuts for self-defense.
81. The U.S. Army accidentally ordered an 82 year supply of freeze-dried tuna salad mix for troops in Europe.
82. If you shake a can of mixed nuts, the larger ones will rise to the top.
83. Matthew McConaughey claims he gets turned on by his food.
84. Pulling all-nighters make you buy more food the next day.
85. An egg will float if placed in water in which sugar has been added.
86. Descriptive menus increase food sales by 27% and improve attitudes towards the food, according to research.
87. In 1999, Whiskas Cat Food designed a commercial to specifically appeal to cats instead of their owners
88. The middle class eats more junk food than the lower class.
89. Wolves can swallow food and not digest it, so they can puke it up for their children to eat at home
90. 25% of all the retail establishments in the U.S. are for eating or drinking.
91. Phagomania is a psychological condition that causes a person to be obsessed with food and or the excessive desire to eat.
92. A female sued McDonalds claiming that the fast food giant is responsible for turning her into a prostitute.
93. Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.
94. Many butterflies can taste with feet to find out whether the leaf they sit on is good to lay eggs on to be their caterpillars food or not.
95. Ninety-nine percent of pumpkins sold in the United States are for the sole purpose of decoration.
96. Studies have shown that eating food without preservatives can improve I.Q by up to 14%.
97. A coffee tree yields about one pound of coffee in a year.
98. As it grows, sweetcorn makes a squeaking noise like two balloons rubbing against each other.
99. Some ants collects bits of leaves for compost so that they can grow fungi gardens for food.
100. Foods like nuts, chicken and milk all contain higher levels of tryptophan, which positively affect happiness.
101. 68 percent of a Hostess Twinkie is air!
102. Historically, lobster was not desired and seen as food for poor people. Prisoners complained because they were forced to eat lobster often.
103. Almost all varieties of breakfast cereals are made of grass.
104. Bananas are not fruit! They are a type of herb.
106. Quitting junk foods actually produces changes in the brain similar to withdrawal from additive drugs.
107. The U.S. is the leading producer of strawberries, and supplies about 20% of the world's strawberries.
108. You are four times more likely to drown in your bath than you are to die of food poisoning.
109. Applying hemorrhoid cream to your chest and waist can make you look more muscular.
110. Rats destroy an estimated 1/3 of the world's food supply each year.
111. Nachos is the food most craved by pregnant women.
112. Ears of corn always have an even number of rows of kernels.
113. Studies have shown that eating food without preservatives can improve your IQ by up to 14%.
114. According to a study, the more you see junk food as a 'threat,' the more your hand's going to be drawn to it.
115. Lima beans contain cyanide!
116. Male dolphins have been known to separate female dolphins from their families and deny them food until they agree to mate.
117. Americans eat nearly 100 acres of pizza every day - that's approximately 350 slices per second!.
118. Acorns were used as a coffee substitute during the American Civil War.
119. After eating, a housefly regurgitates its food and then eats it again.
120. Rice is the chief food for half the people of the world.
121. Shemomedjamo is a Georgian word meaning ‘to eat past the point of fullness because the food is so delicious’.
122. Kurt Cobain was kicked out of a Nirvana CD release party for starting a food fight.
123. Oklahoma buys more fast food than any other state.
124. People in a 7-year study who ate seafood at least once every week had a 30% lower occurrence of dementia.
125. A single strand of spaghetti is called spaghetto.
126. Apples are more efficient than caffeine in keeping people awake in the morning.
127. The two pandas in Edinburgh Zoo eat £40,000 worth of food a year.
128. Contrary to popular belief, London Broil is not a cut of beef but rather a method of cooking.
129. Eggs will age more in one day at room temperature than in one week in the refrigerator.
130. The average American consumes 9 pounds of food additives every year.
131. It takes twelve ears of corn to make a tablespoon of corn oil.
132. Bananas contain a natural chemical which can make a person happy. This same chemical is also found in Prozac.
133. The average American/Canadian will eat about 11.9 pounds of cereal per year!
134. Agaricus mushrooms are the most common variety prepackaged in supermarkets, available fresh, canned or frozen.
135. Teams at Whole Foods vote whether new employees can stay or are fired after their first 90 days of working there.
136. Relationship Advice: Be with someone who gives you the same feeling of when you see your food coming at a restaurant.
137. With two forks and a charge, a pickle will emit light.
138. Every year, kids in North America spend close to half a billion dollars on chewing gum!
139. Pilgrims did not eat with forks. They only used spoons, knives and their fingers.
140. Raccoons will sometimes wash their food before eating it.
141. Fortune cookies were actually invented in America, in 1918, by Charles Jung!
142. When catering staff at the UN went on strike in 2003, $10,000 worth of food and silverware was stolen.
143. Children who eat fast food about 3 times a week or more, tend to have lower test grades in school.
144. There are land crabs that climb trees to find food
145. If you find a hair in your food, heavily salt it before sending it back to the kitchen to make sure you got a new order.
146. Male dolphins separate female dolphins from their families and deny them food until they agree to mate.
147. In colonial times, lobsters were considered "poverty food" reserved for prisoners.
148. The inventor of the Waffle Iron did not like waffles.
149. Almonds are a member of the peach family.
150. The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as a substitute for blood plasma.
151. Strawberries have more vitamin c than oranges.
152. The worlds oldest piece of chewing gum is over 9000 years old!
153. In its ancient form, the carrot was purple, not orange.
154. Raindrops are shaped like hamburger buns, not teardrops.
155. Spinach consumption in the U.S. rose 33% after the Popeye comic strip became a hit in 1931.
156. Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.
157. Non-dairy creamer is flammable.
158. On average, a person will spend about five years eating during his or her lifetime.
159. Baby chickens use their right eye to look for food and their left eye to look out for predators.
160. You cannot taste food unless it is mixed with saliva
161. The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.
162. A group of coconut crabs is called a 'nightmare."
163. The average fast food customer eats about 12 pubic hairs a year.
164. A hardboiled egg will spin. An uncooked or soft boiled egg will not.
165. A peanut is not a nut. It is a legume.
166. 7 out of 10 people who eat junk food before bed are more likely to have nightmares, according to a study.
167. The Gerenuk, a species of antelope, can stand on 2 legs to achieve heights up to 8 feet to reach food.
168. The U.S. eastern seaboard consumes almost 50% of all ice cream sandwiches.
169. McDonald's salads contain up to 60% more fat than their burgers!
170. Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots!
171. A study claims that Instagramming your food before eating it may make it taste better.
172. More than 100 pizza box-related patents have been issued since 1976!
Trending in Food & Drink
James and the Giant Peach was originally called James and the Giant Cherry.
In wine-tasting, a ‘cat pee aroma’ is a compliment.
The world’s largest container ships can carry 746 million bananas.
Americans ingest 1.7 million tons -- or 10.8 pounds per person -- of sugar each year from Coca-Cola alone.
Without bats there would be no tequila. It’s made from the agave plant, which is pollinated by bats.
Big Mac Facts
Azodicarbonamide is a chemical compound that makes things softer and bouncier, including yoga mats, flip-flops and the buns in Big Macs.
When you have a crush on someone, your brain overlooks and ignores the flaws of that person causing them to appear "perfect"
Potato aphids will not have sex if they detect a drop in air pressure.
49 Coffee Facts
There are more marijuana dispensaries in Denver, Colorado, than there are branches of Starbucks.
In 2013, police in the Maldives arrested a coconut on suspicion of vote rigging.
Onions and garlic are toxic to dogs because they produce chemicals that cause anemia.