Stunning History Facts
1. The world's first Buddhist ruler, Emperor Ashoka, was the first ruler in human history to ban slavery, animal cruelty, and deforestation.
2. The oldest person in history smoked for 96 years.
3. One of the most prolific serial killers in history (killed >300 girls) was released on a $50 bail in 1998, and is currently free.
4. A deck of cards, if shuffled properly, will become a deck that is quite possibly never seen in the history.
5. 34 percent of high school history teachers in the U.S. have neither majored nor been certified in the subject.
6. Around 7% of all wars in history were religiously motivated.
7. The longest baseball game in history lasted for two days.
8. Two-thirds of all the people who have ever lived past age 65 in the entire history of the world are alive today.
9. For the first time in U.S. history, more than half of all babies born in 2011 were nonwhite
10. If you type 'cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.history' in the Mac program Terminal, you can read fun facts for every day of the year.
11. On this day in 1956, a gorilla was born in captivity for the first time in history.
Trending in History
9th century Facts
In the 19th century, circumcision was used to treat epilepsy, hernia, lunacy and paralysis.
‘Last shake o’ the bag’ was Victorian slang for ‘youngest child’.
On 28 June 2009, Stephen Hawking hosted a party for time travellers from the future. Nobody showed up.
There was a law in Sparta against having an unmanly complexion.
There are no mentions of salad in the Bible.
From 1934 to 1948, the motto of the BBC was Quaecunque, Latin for ‘Whatever’.
20th century Facts
Of the 142 million deaths caused by an ideology in the 20th century 94 million were due to communism.
Vikings who died in bed rather than battle went to a special afterlife where it was always foggy.
Membership of the Conservative Party has fallen by 97% since the 1950s.