Random Latin Facts
1. The mile is Latin for 1,000. The number of paces it took the average Roman!
2. Strippers earn more in tips when ovulating.
3. The Vatican Bank is the world's only bank that allows ATM users to perform transactions in Latin.
4. LEGO means "to put together" in Latin.
5. The Hogwarts school motto is Latin for "Never tickle a sleeping dragon."
6. The walrus scientific name, Odobenus rosmarus, is Latin for 'tooth-walking sea-horse'.
7. All the platinum ever mined would fit into an average-sized living-room.
8. African-Americans are 3x likelier and Latinos are 2-3x likelier to report less than 5 hours of sleep a day, compared to whites.
9. A.M. stands for 'Ante Meridiem,' which is Latin for 'Before Midday'; P.M. stands for 'Post Meridiem,' which is Latin for 'After Midday.'
10. The popular dog name "Fido" is derived from the Latin word for faithful, "fidus."
11. The Latin phrase 'In vino veritas' translates into 'in wine there is the truth" as it was believed that nobody could lie after drinking.
12. Only 2% of scientists confess to falsifying or manipulating data...but 14% say they know a colleague who did.
13. The Latin phrase 'In vino veritas' translates into 'in wine there is the truth" as it was believed that nobody could lie after drinking.
14. According to a study, 80% of men fantasize about ejaculating on their partner.
15. '˜Re:' in email subjects is not an abbreviation of '˜Reply', but a complete word, borrowed from Latin, meaning '˜about', '˜with reference to'.
16. Stimulating the brain with an electric current increases memory retention.
17. Ovulating women feel that kissing is more important in the initial stages of a relationship than women who are not ovulating.
18. The number of US college students studying Latin is three times the number studying Arabic.
19. From 1934 to 1948, the motto of the BBC was Quaecunque, Latin for ‘Whatever’.
20. "Expecto Patronum", the Patronus spell in Harry Potter, means "I await a protector" in Latin.
21. "Death by powerpoint" is a term relating to the intense boredom/hatred of useless powerpoint presentations.
22. The Hogwarts school motto is "Draco Dormiens Nunquim Titillandus," Latin for "Never tickle a sleeping dragon."
23. The word "Senate" in Latin literally means "a body of old men."
Trending in History
9th century Facts
In the 19th century, circumcision was used to treat epilepsy, hernia, lunacy and paralysis.
‘Last shake o’ the bag’ was Victorian slang for ‘youngest child’.
On 28 June 2009, Stephen Hawking hosted a party for time travellers from the future. Nobody showed up.
There was a law in Sparta against having an unmanly complexion.
There are no mentions of salad in the Bible.
From 1934 to 1948, the motto of the BBC was Quaecunque, Latin for ‘Whatever’.
20th century Facts
Of the 142 million deaths caused by an ideology in the 20th century 94 million were due to communism.
Vikings who died in bed rather than battle went to a special afterlife where it was always foggy.
Membership of the Conservative Party has fallen by 97% since the 1950s.