82 Amazing Did You Know Facts
1. Actor John Wayne made more than 200 movies.
2. A man once sued his doctor because he survived his cancer longer than the doctor predicted.
3. First four countries to have television: England, the U.S., the U.S.S.R., and Brazil.
4. Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two continents.
5. The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!
6. One ragweed plant can release as many as one billion grains of pollen!
7. Every Alaskan citizen over the age of 6 months receives an oil dividend check of about $1000 per year!
8. Austria was the first country to use postcards.
9. Indoor pollution is 10 times more toxic than outdoor pollution.
10. 7,000 new insect species are discovered every year.
11. The electric chair was invented by a dentist!
12. Less than 10% of criminals commit about 67% of all crime.
13. Israel's Dead Sea is 1,312 feet below sea level.
14. Originally, Nintendo was a playing card manufacturer.
15. Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, was an ophthalmologist by profession!
16. Contrary to popular belief, the first ironclad warships were built by Korea in the 16th century.
17. An airplane mechanic invented Slinky while he was playing with engine parts and realized the possible secondary use for the springs.
18. Each day, up to 150 species of life become extinct.
19. Muhammad is the most common name in the world.
20. The aromatic root of ginseng has been used for medicinal purposes in Asia for thousands if years.
21. La Scala is the worlds most famous Opera House.
22. English is the only language that capitalises the first person singular, 'I'.
23. It takes about 63,000 trees to make the newsprint for the average Sunday edition of The New York Times.
24. The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com.
25. Most alcoholic beverages contain all 13 minerals necessary to sustain human life.
26. In ten minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined!
27. Of all the words in the English language, the word set has the most definitions!
28. One third of the electricity produced on earth is used to power electric light bulbs!
29. The word Cotton originates from the Arabic word Qutn.
30. One gallon of used motor oil can ruin approximately one million gallons of fresh water.
31. Extremely high pressured water can easily cut through a steel beam.
32. A bird 'chews' with its stomach.
33. A cesium atom in an atomic clock beats over nine billion times a second.
34. Motorists who talk on cell phones are more impaired than drunk drivers with blood-alcohol levels exceeding .08!
35. Research has shown that ginger is more effective than Dramamine in combating motion sickness.
36. It is estimated that there is in excess of 3,000,000,000 bibles been sold throughout the world!
37. Jericho is the oldest walled city in the world at 9,000 yrs old!
38. Any modern jet is capable of breaking the sound barrier.
39. People say Bless you when you sneeze because of the influenza epidemics that raged during the Middle Ages.
40. Israel is one quarter the size of the state of Maine.
41. The household wrench was invented by boxing heavyweight champion Jack Johnson in 1922.
42. In 1956, 80% of all U.S. households had a refrigerator, but only 8% of British households had one!
43. For every gallon of sea water, you get more than a quarter pound of salt.
44. Crayola is a French word that means 'Oily chalk.'"
45. It is possible to see a rainbow at night!
46. Marie Curie, the Nobel prize winning scientist who discovered radium, died of radiation poisoning.
47. An ounce of platinum can be stretched 10,000 feet.
48. In the early 1960's, Porsche commercially manufactured farm tractors.
49. The first coast-to-coast telephone line was established in 1914.
50. Bill Gates designed a traffic control system for Seattle when he was only 15!
51. Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.
52. Actress Elizabeth Taylor wrote the children's book 'Nibbles & Me'.
53. Native Indians have been known to paint their doors blue, which they believe keeps the bad spirits out.
54. El Salvador is the only Central American country without a coastline on the Caribbean.
55. Buttermilk does not contain any butter.
56. Budweiser beer is named after a town in Czechoslovakia.
57. By raising your legs slowly and laying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.
58. Even Antarctica has an area code. It is 672.
59. Microsoft made $16,005 in revenue in its first year of operation.
60. The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache on a standard playing card!
61. Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.
62. The first product that the toy company Mattel came out with was picture frames.
63. The search engine Google got its name from the word 'googol', which refers to the number one with a hundred zeros after it.
64. Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.
65. More boys than girls are born during the day; more girls are born at night.
66. Identify a fake: The second hand on an authentic Rolex watch doesn't tick, it moves smoothly.
67. -40 degrees Celsius is equal to -40 degrees Fahrenheit.
68. In 32 years. there are about 1 billion seconds!
69. A car operates at maximum economy, gas-wise, at speeds between 25 and 35 miles per hour.
70. 9 out of 10 lightning strike victims survive!
71. Jumbo jets use 4,000 gallons of fuel to take off .
72. Only two in one thousand diamonds are considered truly colorless.
73. A violin contains about 70 separate pieces of wood!
74. People who are lying to you tend to look up and to the left (their left).
75. Persia changed its name to Iran in 1935.
76. Most of the world's people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch water!
77. Natural gas has no smell. The odor is artificially added so that people will be able to identify leaks and take measures to stop them.
78. Half of all identity thieves are either relatives, friends, or neighbors of their victims.
79. By recycling just one glass bottle, the amount of energy that is being saved is enough to light a 100 watt bulb for four hours.
80. The first product that Sony came out with was the rice cooker.
81. A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball made of rubber.
82. 85% of movie actors earn less than $5,000 a year from acting!
Trending in Just For Fun
The Royal Navy uses blasts of Britney Spears’s ‘Oops! . . . I Did It Again’ to scare off Somali pirates.
1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease.
51 Internet Facts
In 2011, the United Nations declared that access to the Internet is a basic human right.
32 Christmas Facts
‘Santa Claus Is Coming to Town’ was first sung in November 1934. By Christmas, it had sold 400,000 copies.
Nick Clegg once did community service for setting fire to a rare cactus collection while drunk on a school trip.
The Lego company was originally called Billund Maskinsnedkeri.
In 1552, Henry Pert died after shooting himself in the face with his own bow and arrow.
Traffic lights were introduced 18 years before the car was invented.
44 Gold Facts
In 2011, Australia minted a giant ‘A$1 million’ gold coin. It weighed over a ton and used gold worth A$52 million.
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate Tube station.
Forest fires can be sparked by sunlight magnified by water on dried-out leaves.