82 Amazing Did You Know Facts
1. Actor John Wayne made more than 200 movies.
2. First four countries to have television: England, the U.S., the U.S.S.R., and Brazil.
3. A man once sued his doctor because he survived his cancer longer than the doctor predicted.
4. Istanbul, Turkey is the only city in the world located on two continents.
5. One ragweed plant can release as many as one billion grains of pollen!
6. Every Alaskan citizen over the age of 6 months receives an oil dividend check of about $1000 per year!
7. The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!
8. Austria was the first country to use postcards.
9. Contrary to popular belief, the first ironclad warships were built by Korea in the 16th century.
10. Indoor pollution is 10 times more toxic than outdoor pollution.
11. 7,000 new insect species are discovered every year.
12. The electric chair was invented by a dentist!
13. Less than 10% of criminals commit about 67% of all crime.
14. Israel's Dead Sea is 1,312 feet below sea level.
15. Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes stories, was an ophthalmologist by profession!
16. English is the only language that capitalises the first person singular, 'I'.
17. The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com.
18. Originally, Nintendo was a playing card manufacturer.
19. Muhammad is the most common name in the world.
20. The aromatic root of ginseng has been used for medicinal purposes in Asia for thousands if years.
21. La Scala is the worlds most famous Opera House.
22. An airplane mechanic invented Slinky while he was playing with engine parts and realized the possible secondary use for the springs.
23. It takes about 63,000 trees to make the newsprint for the average Sunday edition of The New York Times.
24. Each day, up to 150 species of life become extinct.
25. Most alcoholic beverages contain all 13 minerals necessary to sustain human life.
26. In ten minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined!
27. Of all the words in the English language, the word set has the most definitions!
28. One third of the electricity produced on earth is used to power electric light bulbs!
29. Any modern jet is capable of breaking the sound barrier.
30. The word Cotton originates from the Arabic word Qutn.
31. One gallon of used motor oil can ruin approximately one million gallons of fresh water.
32. Extremely high pressured water can easily cut through a steel beam.
33. A bird 'chews' with its stomach.
34. A cesium atom in an atomic clock beats over nine billion times a second.
35. Jericho is the oldest walled city in the world at 9,000 yrs old!
36. Motorists who talk on cell phones are more impaired than drunk drivers with blood-alcohol levels exceeding .08!
37. In the early 1960's, Porsche commercially manufactured farm tractors.
38. Research has shown that ginger is more effective than Dramamine in combating motion sickness.
39. It is estimated that there is in excess of 3,000,000,000 bibles been sold throughout the world!
40. Israel is one quarter the size of the state of Maine.
41. In 1956, 80% of all U.S. households had a refrigerator, but only 8% of British households had one!
42. For every gallon of sea water, you get more than a quarter pound of salt.
43. Crayola is a French word that means 'Oily chalk.'"
44. Marie Curie, the Nobel prize winning scientist who discovered radium, died of radiation poisoning.
45. An ounce of platinum can be stretched 10,000 feet.
46. The first coast-to-coast telephone line was established in 1914.
47. Bill Gates designed a traffic control system for Seattle when he was only 15!
48. People say Bless you when you sneeze because of the influenza epidemics that raged during the Middle Ages.
49. Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.
50. Actress Elizabeth Taylor wrote the children's book 'Nibbles & Me'.
51. Native Indians have been known to paint their doors blue, which they believe keeps the bad spirits out.
52. El Salvador is the only Central American country without a coastline on the Caribbean.
53. Buttermilk does not contain any butter.
54. Budweiser beer is named after a town in Czechoslovakia.
55. By raising your legs slowly and laying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.
56. By recycling just one glass bottle, the amount of energy that is being saved is enough to light a 100 watt bulb for four hours.
57. Even Antarctica has an area code. It is 672.
58. Microsoft made $16,005 in revenue in its first year of operation.
59. The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache on a standard playing card!
60. Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.
61. The first product that Sony came out with was the rice cooker.
62. The first product that the toy company Mattel came out with was picture frames.
63. The household wrench was invented by boxing heavyweight champion Jack Johnson in 1922.
64. The search engine Google got its name from the word 'googol', which refers to the number one with a hundred zeros after it.
65. Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.
66. More boys than girls are born during the day; more girls are born at night.
67. Identify a fake: The second hand on an authentic Rolex watch doesn't tick, it moves smoothly.
68. -40 degrees Celsius is equal to -40 degrees Fahrenheit.
69. In 32 years. there are about 1 billion seconds!
70. Natural gas has no smell. The odor is artificially added so that people will be able to identify leaks and take measures to stop them.
71. A ball of glass will bounce higher than a ball made of rubber.
72. A car operates at maximum economy, gas-wise, at speeds between 25 and 35 miles per hour.
73. It is possible to see a rainbow at night!
74. 85% of movie actors earn less than $5,000 a year from acting!
75. 9 out of 10 lightning strike victims survive!
76. Half of all identity thieves are either relatives, friends, or neighbors of their victims.
77. Jumbo jets use 4,000 gallons of fuel to take off .
78. Only two in one thousand diamonds are considered truly colorless.
79. A violin contains about 70 separate pieces of wood!
80. People who are lying to you tend to look up and to the left (their left).
81. Persia changed its name to Iran in 1935.
82. Most of the world's people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch water!
Trending in Just For Fun
The Royal Navy uses blasts of Britney Spears’s ‘Oops! . . . I Did It Again’ to scare off Somali pirates.
1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease.
51 Internet Facts
In 2011, the United Nations declared that access to the Internet is a basic human right.
32 Christmas Facts
‘Santa Claus Is Coming to Town’ was first sung in November 1934. By Christmas, it had sold 400,000 copies.
Nick Clegg once did community service for setting fire to a rare cactus collection while drunk on a school trip.
The Lego company was originally called Billund Maskinsnedkeri.
In 1552, Henry Pert died after shooting himself in the face with his own bow and arrow.
Traffic lights were introduced 18 years before the car was invented.
44 Gold Facts
In 2011, Australia minted a giant ‘A$1 million’ gold coin. It weighed over a ton and used gold worth A$52 million.
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate Tube station.
Forest fires can be sparked by sunlight magnified by water on dried-out leaves.