Cool Language Facts
1. The 1989 article that proposed the acronym LOL also suggested using ‘H’ to mean ‘Huh?’ The word ‘huh’ is understood in all known languages.
2. Esperanto is the only language with no irregular verbs.
3. "Huh?" is a universal word and is found in roughly the same form and function in spoken languages across the globe.
4. 6% of people can speak 3 or more languages.
5. In Inuit languages, the closest word to ‘freedom’ is annakpok, which means ‘not caught’.
6. The directors of Despicable Me actually wrote a language for the gibberish the minions speak throughout the film. Each word has a meaning!
7. People who speak two languages, may unconsciously change their personality when they switch languages.
8. The more rivers an area has, the more languages will evolve there.
9. There is a nearly extinct language called Ayapa Zoque - only two people speak it fluently, they do not like each other and refuse to speak.
10. Forty percent of twins invent their own languages which are called autonomous languages.
11. Thinking in a foreign language makes decisions more rational
12. Huh? means the same thing in every language.
13. A language dies every 2 weeks.
14. "Furbish" is the official language of the Furby.
15. 'Huh?' is a universal word and is found in roughly the same form and function in spoken languages across the globe.
16. Martha Stewart has said that she has a special language she speaks when talking to animals.
17. "American" was the official language of Illinois from 1923 until 1969.
18. Humans speak more languages than there are species of mammal.
19. Babies brought up in a bilingual environment have stronger working memories than those brought up with only one language.
20. Cryptophasia is a language that some twins formulate and can only be understood by them.
21. Apes have been shown using language to communicate with primate researchers for over 40 years.
22. According to one study, just 50 out of 20,000 people could tell when someone was lying based on body language with more than 80% accuracy.
23. About 6,000 major languages are used today â€” by 2115, only 600 will still exist.
24. The Pentagon spends $300,000USD per year to study body language of Putin and other world leaders.
25. Physical flirtsâ€”those who express interest through body languageâ€”offer fewer compliments when they are attracted to someone, studies show.
Trending in Just For Fun
The Royal Navy uses blasts of Britney Spears’s ‘Oops! . . . I Did It Again’ to scare off Somali pirates.
1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease.
51 Internet Facts
In 2011, the United Nations declared that access to the Internet is a basic human right.
32 Christmas Facts
‘Santa Claus Is Coming to Town’ was first sung in November 1934. By Christmas, it had sold 400,000 copies.
Nick Clegg once did community service for setting fire to a rare cactus collection while drunk on a school trip.
The Lego company was originally called Billund Maskinsnedkeri.
In 1552, Henry Pert died after shooting himself in the face with his own bow and arrow.
178 Sleep Facts
The average person in Coventry sleeps for 6 hours and 5 minutes a night.
Traffic lights were introduced 18 years before the car was invented.
44 Gold Facts
In 2011, Australia minted a giant ‘A$1 million’ gold coin. It weighed over a ton and used gold worth A$52 million.
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate Tube station.