97 Random Money Facts
1. Spending money on experiences, as opposed to material possessions, leads to greater happiness.
2. There is an A.I. that makes telemarketers believe they are talking to a real person, wasting as much of their time and money as possible.
3. A study found that arguing about money is the top predictor of divorce.
4. The creator of the NIKE Swoosh symbol was paid only $35 for the design.
5. The oil used by jewelers to lubricate clocks and watches costs about $3,000 a gallon.
6. The three wealthiest families in the world have more assets than the combined wealth of the forty-eight poorest nations.
7. The first household refrigerators cost about $16,000, in today's money!
8. In 1999, Pepsi, Inc. paid $0.00 in income tax!
9. The 2003 world poker champion who won $2.5 million for a $39 entry fee is called Chris Moneymaker.
10. Pocahontas appeared on the back of the $20 bill in 1875.
11. Approximately 40% of the U.S. paper currency in circulation was counterfeit by the end of the Civil War.
12. Each year in the U.S., more money is stolen by employers from their employees than is stolen in robberies, burglaries, and larcenies.
13. The Australian $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes are made out of plastic.
14. Never allow yourself be controlled by three things: People, money and your past experiences.
15. There is scientific evidence that money can buy you happiness.
16. Holding money in your hand reduces stress and pain.
17. People who breastfeed as infants earn more money as adults, according to a study.
18. Each 5 m.p.h. you drive over 60 m.p.h. is like paying an additional $.10 a gallon for gas!
19. Drug lord, Pablo Escobar spent as much as $2,500 every month on rubber bands to "hold the money together."
20. Americans spend more than 5.4 billion dollars on their pets each year!
21. Nearly 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong account over the next hour.
22. There are more female than male millionaires in the United States.
23. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
24. Attractive people can expect to make, on average, 10% to 15% more money over the course of their life than their less attractive friends.
25. Evidence suggests women are better stewards of their cashâ€”they have less money, on average, than men, and yet they save more of it.
26. Until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money in Siberia.
27. The Bank of America was originally the Bank of Italy!
28. Until 1910, film studios didn’t credit actors in case they asked for more money.
29. Oil tycoon, John D. Rockefeller, was the world's first billionaire.
30. A million dollars' worth of $100 bills weighs only 22 pounds!
31. America once issued a 5-cent bill!
32. Taller people are happier than shorter people. They also earn more money.
33. People who earn a lot of money experience chemical changes in the brain comparable to those produced by cocaine.
34. Spending money on others yields more happiness than spending it on yourself. A study concluded.
35. Arguments about money are the top predictor of divorce.
36. If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will not be heads 5,000 times, but more like 4,950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.
37. About 10% of U.S. households pay their bills in cash.
38. There is no tipping at restaurants in Japan.
39. Cornish pasties make more money each year than Tonga, Micronesia or the Cook Islands.
40. In the U.S., for every dollar you spend on gasoline 27 cents of it is in taxes.
41. A dime has 118 ridges around the edge, a quarter has 119.
42. $1,200,000,000,000 of US money is in circulation, but nobody knows where 85% of it is.
43. The Mint once considered producing doughnut-shaped coins!
44. The most money ever paid for a cow in an auction was $1.3 million.
45. The average night out in L.A. costs $85, with the majority of the money going towards tickets and drinks.
46. Aerosmith have made more money from Guitar Hero than from any of their albums.
47. Disagreeable, grumpy people earn more money, but agreeable, friendly people are happier.
48. Bill Maher has said that selling marijuana allowed him to make enough money to get through Cornell and enter comedy.
49. 50 Cent made most of his money not from rapping, but from an investment in Vitamin Water - He made 10 times more than he ever made rapping.
50. More Monopoly money is printed in a year, than real money printed throughout the world!
51. Until 1857, any foreign coins made of precious metal were legal tender in the United States.
52. A study found that brunettes are seen as more capable than other hair colors and often make more money as a result.
53. Just one in three consumers pays off his or her credit card bill every month.
54. By distributing all the money in the world equally to everyone, you would get $10,000.
55. Nearly 30% of female lottery winners hide their winning ticket in their bras.
56. The most common time for a bank robbery is Friday, between 9 and 11 a.m. The least likely time is Wednesday, between 3 and 6 p.m.
57. Traces of cocaine were found on 99% of UK bank notes in a survey in London in 2000.
58. Diets have a 98% failure rate because they are designed to make more money for the diet industry, not to help you lose weight.
59. Martha Stewart became a billionaire while in prison.
60. According to Gaming Law, casinos have to stock enough cash to cover all the chips on the 'floor'.
61. Left-handed people earn less money, score lower on tests and have more emotional problems on average than right-handed people.
62. 80% of people think that happy holiday memories are more important than money.
63. Find three hobbies you love: one to make you money, one to keep you in shape, and one to be creative.
64. The U.S. spends more money per person on healthcare than any other country, yet its life expectancy is below average.
65. How much money you earn has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of person you are.
66. Psychopaths make more money than normal people in negotiation games because they are more willing to accept unfair offers.
67. Pimps wear lots of gold jewelry bought at pawn shops to "re-pawn" for bail money â€” when arrested, cash is confiscated, but jewelry is not.
68. Woodpecker scalps, porpoise teeth and giraffe tails have all been used as money.
69. It costs about 3 cents to make a $1 bill in the United States.
70. On average, the life span of an American dollar bill is eighteen months.
71. Paper money is not made from wood pulp but from cotton. This means that it will not disintegrate as fast if it is put in the laundry.
72. If you lend someone money and you never see them again, it was money well spent.
73. The face of a penny can hold about thirty drops of water.
74. It costs more money to leave a homeless person on the street than it does to help them transition back into society and get a job.
75. The revenue that is generated from gambling is more than the revenue that comes from movies, cruise ships, recorded music, theme parks, and spectator sports combined.
76. The first household refrigerators cost about $16,000, in today's money.
77. The Swedish and Finnish government actually pays students monthly pocket money if they attend high school, college and university.
78. People who are sad are likely to spend more money than those who are happy.
79. To sell your home faster, and for more money, paint it yellow.
80. Warner Chappel Music owns the copyright to the song 'Happy Birthday'. They make over $1 million in royalties every year from the commercial use of the song.
81. A study reveals that kissing your spouse good-bye before leaving the home in the morning, can increase the amount of money you make.
82. Each day, more than $40 Trillion Dollars changes hands worldwide.
83. 80% of millionaires drive used cars.
84. Eliminating the pay gap in the U.S. would give a woman enough money to pay for about 86 more weeks of food and 7.6 more months of mortgage.
85. Buy items out of season to save money, but for food, you need to buy it in season to save
86. After having your basic material needs met, additional money does not have any impact on your levels of happiness.
87. In the U.S., more than 10% of lottery prizes go unclaimed!
88. WAL-MART generates $3,000,000.00 in revenues every 7 minutes!
89. A study found that female actors see their income rise until the age of 34, while male actors make more money every year until they turn 51.
90. Costa Rica abolished their military and instead spends that money on education and culture.
91. Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money, or past experiences.
92. Money notes are not made from paper, they are made mostly from a special blend of cotton and linen.
93. A bank robber was once arrested after he posed with the stolen money on Instagram.
94. Over 50% of lottery players go back to work after winning the jackpot.
95. Nice people make less money than mean people at work.
96. A man called Dobri Dobrev walks 25km each day to beg for money for orphanages that are unable to pay their bills. He has turned 100 today.
97. Money is the number one thing that people say they argue about most in marriage, next is children.
Trending in Just For Fun
The Royal Navy uses blasts of Britney Spears’s ‘Oops! . . . I Did It Again’ to scare off Somali pirates.
1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease.
51 Internet Facts
In 2011, the United Nations declared that access to the Internet is a basic human right.
Nick Clegg once did community service for setting fire to a rare cactus collection while drunk on a school trip.
The Lego company was originally called Billund Maskinsnedkeri.
In 1552, Henry Pert died after shooting himself in the face with his own bow and arrow.
Traffic lights were introduced 18 years before the car was invented.
44 Gold Facts
In 2011, Australia minted a giant ‘A$1 million’ gold coin. It weighed over a ton and used gold worth A$52 million.
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate Tube station.
Forest fires can be sparked by sunlight magnified by water on dried-out leaves.
Pregreening is creeping forward while waiting for a red light to change.
In 20860, the Islamic and Christian calendars will finally agree.