100 Fun Research Facts
1. Researchers at the University of Rochester have built the first invisibility cloak.
2. Research suggests that the more ethnically diverse an area is, the less people are likely to trust each other.
3. Researchers in renowned universities discovered that gossiping can help in stress reduction and also help in avoiding exploitation of others
4. Research shows that being continuously sleep-deprived makes you dumb, irritable, distracted, unhappy, and fat.
5. Research has found that a 20% bump in Facebook use equated with an over 2% bump in divorce rates between 2008 and 2010.
6. Research has found that religious and non-religious people are equally likely to misbehave.
7. Researchers have found that people are more willing to disclose personal information if you make them laugh.
8. New research shows that spanking a child can turn them into a lawbreaker later on in life.
9. Research shows that dogs are more likely to share food with friends rather than with strangers.
10. Researchers have discovered a new species of ancient human relative called Homo naledi, who stood at 5 ft. tall and had a tiny brain.
11. Desperate for money? NASA will pay $15,000 to anyone who is willing to sit in bed for 87 days to research the effect of zero gravity.
12. Research shows that more regions of the brain are active while it wanders than during engagement in a task.
13. Research has found that playing Tetris eases the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder.
14. Research funded by the sugar industry is 5 times less likely to find a connection between sugar and obesity.
15. Researchers have identified 15,152 different types of life forms living on the New York subway.
16. Researchers found that having compassion helps people to lead happier and healthier lives.
17. Research has shown that people are happiest at 7:26 p.m. on Saturday night.
18. Research has shown that just 20 minutes of physical activity can improve your mood.
19. Research has found that kids with four-day school weeks score better in math than kids that go to school five days a week.
20. Research has shown that studying in different places gives the brain a variety of visual cues that will help you recall what you learned.
21. Research suggests that women are more likely than men to suffer from obsessional love.
22. Researchers found that powerful people draw inspiration from themselves rather than others, which is why they talk about themselves so much.
23. Researchers found that imagining doing exercises actually increases muscle strength
24. Neuroscience research has determined that two cheeseburgers is the pleasure equivalent of one orgasm.
25. Research suggests that abstract thinking improves self-control.
26. Researchers have built a device that puts your legs on cruise control so you can look at your smartphone without bumping into things.
27. Research shows that your attraction to certain foods is based on having a good relationship with the person you remember first preparing it.
28. Researchers have found that the average person will form about 400 friendships during a lifetime, but only 33 will last.
29. Research shows that narcissism is associated with few physical or mental illnesses and is linked with a stronger sense of well-being.
30. Research shows, that the exact time our brain takes when retrieving a memory is 0.0004 seconds.
31. Desperate for money? NASA will pay $15,000 to anyone who is willing to sit in bed for 87 days, to research the effect of zero gravity
32. Research shows that men know they're falling in love after just three dates, but women don't fall in love until date 14.
33. Researchers have found that online movie renters choose more romance films when the weather is cold.
34. Research shows that we should spend 100 hours a year (two hours a week) helping others if we want to enrich our lives.
35. Teenagers in East Baltimore rate their communities more negatively than 15-17 year olds living in Nigeria and New Delhi, research has found.
36. Research has found that people who live alone are more likely to have unhealthy diets lacking key foods.
37. Prairie dogs have their own language. Researchers have distinguished at least 10 different calls that mean different things
38. New research shows that, for luxury brands, the ruder the sales staff, the higher the sales.
39. Researchers studied over 1,000 men taking a dump and found that the average bowel movement weighs 0.7 pounds (0.3 kilograms).
40. Research has found that absence really does make the heart grow fonder.
41. Researchers at Boston University are working on technology that will be able to download skills directly to our brain.
42. Research has shown that if you want to stay awake, apples are actually more powerful and effective than caffeine!
43. Research shows you're more likely to orgasm in a relationship than in a hookup situation.
44. Research shows that cheerful students think they're doing well but have lower GPA's'”a negative attitude increases motivation to learn.
45. Research suggests that the caffeine in coffee helps people retain new memories.
46. Research has shown that anger can make us push on towards our goals in the face of problems and barriers.
47. Researchers have found that they can accurately predict heart disease rates by analyzing negative tweets on Twitter.
48. Research suggests that children conceived during the second half of winter are more athletic, physically fit, and stronger than their peers.
49. Researchers have confirmed that people really do look more attractive after a few drinks.
50. Research has found that people who eat mostly whole foods (minimally processed foods) tend to have better mental health.
51. Research has revealed a link between having to make lots of decisions at work and being overweight or obese.
52. Research has shown that domestic cats never forgiveâ€”they fail to show outward signs of reconciliation like other animals do.
53. Research suggests that hot temperatures cause people to become aggressive and violent.
54. Research indicates that mosquitoes are attracted to people who have recently eaten bananas.
55. Research shows it takes only four seconds of awkward silence to significantly increase your anxiety during a conversation.
56. 93% of students do their research online rather than in a library.
57. Research has shown that politicians whose facial structure is deemed to look more competent are more likely to win elections.
58. New research suggests ancient people made cave art while high on hallucinogenic drugs.
59. Researchers have found that listening to hip-hop can promote self-healing, resilience, and empowerment.
60. Research discovered that a person is more likely to completely ignore others while reading & or sending a text.
61. Research found that university students were more likely to cheat after seeing 7000 dollar bills than after seeing only 24.
62. Research has shown that people are happiest at 7:26pm on Saturday night.
63. Researchers have found that the better we are at synchronizing our brain waves with music, the better we process music.
64. New research has added weight to existing evidence that smoking is harmful to fetuses as they develop in the womb.
65. Research has found that overexposure to online devices, such as iPads and smartphones, can lead to attention deficit disorders.
66. Research has suggested that suppression of one's natural behavior is linked with poorer health.
67. Research has found that everyone is able to sing well â€” it is a learned skill that gets better with practice and worse with disuse.
68. Research has shown that while viewing porn, men tend to focus on a woman's eyes and lips.
69. Fifty percent of Americans born between 1990 and 1996 believe in a god with absolute certainty, a Pew Research Center study finds.
70. Research shows that smoking and drinking tend to go hand-in-hand because nicotine weakens the sleep-inducing effects of alcohol.
71. Research suggests that eating within one hour of waking up boosts your mood and cognition.
72. Researchers found that married men drink less than unmarried men, while the opposite is true for women.
73. Researchers from NASA say the perfect nap lasts for 26 minutes.
74. Researchers found that people are less likely to compete when their rival is over-confident, which is why "nice guys" seem to finish last.
75. Research has shown people trust online comments more than credible sources.
76. Research has found that just telling people to '˜be creative' increases their creativity.
77. Researchers used face-recognition software to determine that the Mona Lisa is 83% happy, 9% disgusted, 6% fearful, and 2% angry.
78. Researchers have designed an artificial intelligence that can generate convincing political speeches and arguments.
79. Researchers found that having too many friends on Facebook causes people to have a negative perception of you.
80. Researchers found that plants talk and listen to each other by making "clicking" sounds.
81. Researchers have found that the smell of flowers has a positive influence on your emotions.
82. Researchers have found that talking to strangers can make you happier.
83. According to a Pew Research report almost everybody uses the internet to waste time at some point during the day.
84. Research shows that thinking about money makes people more determined and focused, but less sensitive to the needs and feelings of others.
85. Research shows indoor tanning exposure is linked to more cases of cancer than smoking.
86. Research shows chocolate milk is just as effective as sports drinks or protein shakes for recovering after a workout.
87. Researchers at Boston University are working on technology that will allow you to download skills directly to your brain.
88. Researchers found that people take smaller bites and eat less when the food smells stronger.
89. Diners who sit next to a window are 40% more likely to order a salad, research shows.
90. Researchers suggest that 91% of sea creatures remain undiscovered.
91. Research has shown that the even when a human is asleep, the human mind is capable of sensing that someone is staring at them!
92. Researchers found that a constant pursuit of happiness can cause you to start feeling lonely.
93. Researchers report that women's magazines have 10.5 times more ads and articles promoting weight loss than men's magazines do.
94. Research has found that replacing a bad habit with a good one is easier than quitting a bad habit cold turkey.
95. Researchers have developed an algorithm that can assess whether a person is well dressed and how to make an outfit more fashionable.
96. Research shows that getting paid to do something decreases our enjoyment of the task, even if we previously loved it.
97. Research finds that kids who enjoy family meals have larger vocabularies, better manners, healthier diets, and higher self-esteem.
98. Research reveals that you can catch others willpower just by looking at them pursuing their goals.
99. Researchers from NASA say the perfect nap lasts for exactly 26 minutes.
100. Research has found that the areas of the brain that are connected to physical pain are activated when a person feels socially awkward.
Trending in Just For Fun
The Royal Navy uses blasts of Britney Spears’s ‘Oops! . . . I Did It Again’ to scare off Somali pirates.
1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease.
51 Internet Facts
In 2011, the United Nations declared that access to the Internet is a basic human right.
Nick Clegg once did community service for setting fire to a rare cactus collection while drunk on a school trip.
The Lego company was originally called Billund Maskinsnedkeri.
In 1552, Henry Pert died after shooting himself in the face with his own bow and arrow.
Traffic lights were introduced 18 years before the car was invented.
44 Gold Facts
In 2011, Australia minted a giant ‘A$1 million’ gold coin. It weighed over a ton and used gold worth A$52 million.
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate Tube station.
Forest fires can be sparked by sunlight magnified by water on dried-out leaves.
In 20860, the Islamic and Christian calendars will finally agree.