178 Awesome Sleep Facts
1. Many teenagers who sleep less than 8-9 hours every night suffer from irritability, mood swings & even depression.
2. Twitter causes insomnia, it has become the most common sleep distraction in the world.
3. We lose on average 2 pounds of weight during sleep by exhaling.
4. People getting only 6 to 7 hours of sleep every night have a longer life expectancy than those who sleep 8 hours.
5. An albatross can sleep while it flies.
6. A human's natural sleep pattern is about 4 hours of sleep, then 2 hours of being awake, followed by another 4 hours of sleep.
7. You can survive without eating for weeks, but you will only live 11 days without sleeping.
8. Falling in love triggers feelings of euphoria, sleeplessness
9. Humans can live longer without food than sleep.
10. 90% of people 18 to 29-years-old sleep with their phones in or right next to their bed.
11. People who sleep late have more mental stamina and can outperform early risers.
12. Hypnic jerk is the falling sensation that awakens you suddenly just as you begin to sleep and is experienced by 70% of the human population.
13. There is a hotel in Fiji where for $15,000 a week you can sleep on the ocean floor and you can feed fish outside your window.
14. Did you know your body is actually designed to get 4 hours of sleep twice per day instead of 8 hours once?
15. People who frequently feel thankful are happier, sleep better, earn more money and better resist disease, studies show.
16. Sleeping on your stomach is the most likely position to produce erotic dreams.
17. Your body needs to sleep. Staying awake for 2 weeks can be enough to literally kill you.
18. Sleeping too little can be just as dangerous as smoking a 10 cigarettes.
19. Stepping outside and going for a walk every day helps you sleep better at night.
20. Sleeping is a cure to forget about pain, problems, stress and everything for a while.
21. Before going to bed, 94% of people count how many hours of sleep theyÃre going to get.
22. me: *sleeps for 5 hours* tired
me: *sleeps for 10 hours* tired
me: *sleeps for a month* tired
me: *sleeps for a year* still tired
23. Hypnophobia is the fear of sleep or of being hypnotized.
24. Interrupted sleep is just as bad as a night without sleep.
25. Feeling sleepy? Hold your breath until you cant anymore and then breathe out slowly. This will increase your heart rate
26. Twitter psychosis is a real disorder that stems from tweeting obsessively, to the point where one loses sleep and skips meals.
27. Falling dreams typically occur at the beginning of the night, in Stage I sleep and are accompanied by muscle spasms, called myoclonic jerks.
28. Loneliness, lack of sleep and hunger are the three top most common causes of mood swings.
29. The harder you concentrate on falling asleep, the harder it becomes to actually fall asleep.
30. Humans sleep on average around three hours less than other primates.
31. People who regularly get less than six hours of sleep increase their chance of dying over a 25-year period by 12%.
32. Sleeping after learning something increases your ability to remember it.
33. About 2% of the population are considered "sleepless elite" which means they are night owls and early birds simultaneously.
34. Drinking alcohol before sleep reduces the amount of deep REM sleep which leaves you feeling less rested.
35. Sleeping beauty Syndrome is a sickness that causes people to sleep for up to 10 days at a time.
36. If you have a newborn, sleep with its baby blanket for one night so you leave your scent. This will be comforting for them
37. Panic attacks can happen in a your sleep.
38. Not getting enough sleep and being hungry are the two biggest reasons for being angry.
39. Sleeping next to someone you love makes you fall asleep faster, reduces depression, and helps you live longer.
40. Albatrosses can sleep while mid-flight
41. Sleep flushes toxins from your brain that accumulate there during the day.
42. Sleep + Music = 2 ways to escape everything.
43. Whore Definition: A woman who sleeps with everyone but you. Sentence: "She slept with Jim? What a whore!"
44. Two-thirds of parents who sing their children to sleep prefer pop music to lullabies.
45. Lack of sleep can cause you to gain weight by making you crave sweet things.
46. Twitter has been proven to cause insomnia and is one of the most common sleep distraction in the the States and Holland.
47. If it takes you less than 5 minutes to fall asleep, you are most likely sleep deprived - It should take 7 to 10 minutes on an average night.
48. The last person on your mind before you fall asleep is either the reason for your happiness or pain.
49. Many teens who sleep less than 8-9 hours suffer from irritability, mood swings and even depression.
50. Sleeping for less than 6 hours any night skews the productivity of your immune system, metabolism, and the body's response to stress.
51. Spending at least 60 minutes in conversation with someone you care about an hour before bed can help you sleep peacefully.
52. The happier you are, the less sleep you require to function in everyday life. Sadness increases the urge to sleep more.
53. Dogs sleep an average of 18 out of 24 hours
54. A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures for anything.
55. Sleeping next to someone you love not only reduces depression, but it also helps you to live longer and makes you fall asleep faster.
56. Listening to information while you sleep allows you to remember it better.
57. People who are deprived of sleep have a harder time remembering positive experiences and are more likely to remember negative experiences.
58. People with higher IQs tend to have a more difficult time falling asleep at night due to increased brain activity.
59. Nightmares are mostly caused by sleeping in an extremely cold room temperature.
60. People are more likely to cry at night because the lack of sleep makes emotions hard to control.
61. St Vitus is the patron saint of oversleeping.
62. Sleeping through the summer, rather than the winter is called '˜Aestivation'.
63. "Last night I closed my laptop down and put it on my bed. I turned it back on and it was open and frozen on a pic of me as I was sleeping."
64. If ants encounter a drunk comrade, they will carry them home to sleep it off.
65. A survey found that 75% of women said they would rather sleep with one man in a lifetime than 25% who would rather sleep with 100 men.
66. Getting at least 7 hours of sleep can make you less sensitive to negative emotions
67. Sleeping on your right side helps you fall asleep faster than sleeping on your left side.
68. About 1 out of 10 married adults say that they typically sleep alone.
69. Feelings of loneliness can contribute to fragmented sleep.
70. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg fell asleep at the State of the Union Address because she had a little too much wine beforehand.
71. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV
72. 'False Awakening' is when you're dreaming that you've woken up, but you are actually still in deep sleep.
73. The blue-crowned hanging parrot sleeps upside down.
74. 28% of men surveyed said they would sleep with their best friend's mom or girlfriend if the Apocalypse was near.
75. An endurance athlete, Dean Karnazes, ran 350 miles (560 km) in 80 hours and 44 minutes without sleep in 2005.
76. The 'pins and needles' tingling sensation that happens when your foot falls asleep is called paresthesia.
77. When an ant gets too drunk, his fellow comrade will carry him back to the nest to sleep off the alcohol.
78. The average person falls asleep in 7 minutes.
79. Beauty sleep is real - scientists found that faces of well-rested people look younger and are more attractive than sleep-deprived people.
80. Losing 30 minutes of sleep each day could mess with metabolic function, causing obesity.
81. Two people who sleep in the same bed are exposed to more radiation over the course of a year than someone who sleeps alone.
82. People who only get about 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night have a longer life expectancy than those who sleep for 8 or more hours a night.
83. Cell phone radiation causes insomnia. Using your phone before bed can prevent you from getting sleep.
84. I have no motivation to do anything anymore. I wish I could just stay in bed and sleep for like two months..
85. Sleeping an extra two hours can help your body burn an extra 100 calories.
86. For kids, a loss of one hour of sleep is equivalent to the loss of two years of cognitive maturation and development, according to research.
87. Studies show that people who are lonely and/or depressed are more likely to sleep with multiple pillows.
88. It is more healthy to sleep in the nude than with clothes on.
89. The more complex the song, the greater the composer's chances of getting a woman to sleep with him.
90. Your body is the weakest during 3-4am. This is the time most people die in their sleep.
91. The less sleep you get, the more dreams you have when you DO sleep.
92. An owl has three eyelids: one for blinking, one for sleeping and one for keeping the eye clean and healthy.
93. About 2% of the population are considered 'sleepless elite' which means they are night owls and early birds simultaneously.
94. The average human will spend one-third of their life sleeping.
95. u know what part i love about waking up?
none of it. let me sleep
96. Cuddling before going to bed is almost 10 times more effective than any sleeping pills.
97. Sleeping is the best natural cure to forget about problems, pain, stress, and everything for a while.
98. People who sleep less tend to crave junk food - People who oversleep tend to crave more sleep.
99. Lack of sleep makes it difficult to control emotions which is why people are more likely to cry or laugh uncontrollably at night.
100. Sleep deprived people perform as badly and sometimes even worse than those who are drunk.
101. Sleeping in the fetal position provides the body with optimum blood circulation for a healthy sleeping session
102. When depressed, women are more likely to feel guilty, sleep too much, overeat, gain weight and neglect their appearance.
103. Bulldogs are prone to sleep apnea.
104. Sleep is often used to temporarily help distract the mind from a stressful life. Sleep enhances emotional strength.
105. I no longer have the energy to do all nighters like I used to. Now I need 8 hours of sleep and two naps to feel okay
106. Sleeping on the job is acceptable in Japan. It is viewed as exhaustion from working hard.
107. People who sleep less tend to crave junk food
108. People who oversleep tend to crave more sleep
109. Experts agree that non-work-related reading is the last thing most successful people do before going to sleep.
110. Having trouble sleeping? Blink fast for a minute. Tired eyes help you fall asleep.
111. Loneliness causes people to take longer baths/showers, sleep longer and over think more.
112. Cats spend 75% of their lives sleeping.
113. 10 days without sleep can result in death.
114. Listening to at least 15 minutes of music before going to bed will help you sleep better & make waking up in the morning easier.
115. Sleeping next to someone you love not only reduces depression, but it helps you live longer, and makes you fall asleep faster
116. People who sleep for less than six hours each night are 12 percent more likely to die prematurely.
117. The Power Puff Girls were originally based off of the three good fairies from Sleeping Beauty.
118. Sleeping Beauty Syndrome is a rare sickness that causes people to sleep for up to 10 days at a time.
119. Studies show sleep-deprived people look less attractive.
120. Sleeping less causes you to lie more.
121. Those who multitask while performing brain-intensive tasks demonstrate IQ drops similar to people who are sleep-deprived or smoke marijuana.
123. Cats sleep for over 66% of their lives
124. A sleeping human brain can still understand the words being spoken around it.
125. Missing someone makes it harder to fall asleep at night.
126. People who sleep eight hours a day may die younger than people who sleep six or seven hours per day.
127. Normally, elephants only sleep for 2 to 3 hours each day.
128. The more you care, the more you OVER think. The more you think, the harder it is to fall asleep.
129. Before sleeping, most people will imagine stuff they want to happen
130. Lack of sleep is associated with excessive worrying.
131. That sudden jerk you sometimes experience when you 'slip' in a dream while half asleep is called a 'Hypnic Jerk.'
132. "I sleep to forget the world."
133. The average person in Coventry sleeps for 6 hours and 5 minutes a night.
134. Your body is actually designed to get 4 hours of sleep twice per day instead of 8 hours once. Naps are healthy!
135. Fasting for 16 hours will reset your body's natural sleep/wake cycle and is considered an effective way to overcome jetlag.
136. People who sleep in the fetal position tend to worry and be anxious.
137. Exploding head syndrome is a sleep disorder in which subjects experience loud bangs in their head similar to bombs exploding.
138. Your body is actually designed to get 4 hours of sleep twice per day instead of 8 hours once.
139. Unhappy people require more sleep than those who are satisfied with their lives.
140. Over thinking can cause symptoms of anxiety and insomnia, making it impossible to fall asleep at night.
141. People who sleeps late have more mental stamina and can usually outperform early risers.
142. Hypnagogia is the state in between being awake and asleep.
143. SCIENCE DOESNT SLEEP HOMEBOY
144. Over the course of 3-5 years, lack of sleep can shrink your brain.
145. It takes about 7 minutes for the average person to fall asleep.
146. There is a disease where you eventually stop sleeping, and then die. There is no cure.
147. Teenagers are hardwired to fall asleep later at night and wake up later in the morning.
148. Sleeping next to someone you love not only reduces depression, but it helps you live longer, and makes you fall asleep faster.
149. The "pins and needles" tingling sensation that happens when your foot falls asleep is called paresthesia.
150. A condition called 'False Awakening' occurs when you're dreaming that you've woken up, but still are in deep sleep.
151. The Hamadryas baboons sleep in groups, with some groups as big as 750 baboons!
152. If you fall asleep within 5 minutes of lying down, you are likely to be suffering from severe sleep deprivation.
153. Sleeping without a bra improves quality of sleep by over 95% and is an effective way of treating insomnia.
154. William Morton, the father of anaesthesia, first experimented on himself but kept falling asleep before he could describe the results.
155. Not getting enough sleep and being hungry are the two biggest reasons for being angry
156. Listening to your favorite song before bed can help you sleep better, wake up easier and enhance your mood for the upcoming day.
157. Working out before bed makes your muscles burn more calories as you sleep
158. Sleeping at least 7 hours per night prevents heart disease.
159. Lack of sleep makes it harder for people to exercise self-control.
160. The hormone that makes you grow is only produced when you sleep.
161. A study found that the more money you make, the more sleep you tend to get.
162. There was a study done that showed that mobile phone use before bed adversely affects your sleep.
163. Psychological Fact - The person you know whom secretly thinks of you before going to sleep is more likely to appear in your dreams.
164. It is possible for people to fall asleep with their eyes open and be entirely unaware of it.
165. Lack of sleep causes the brain to remember events incorrectly.
166. Avoiding use of cell phone and or internet 20 minutes before going to bed can help you fall asleep easier.
167. If you sleep on your right side you will fall asleep faster than sleeping on your left side.
168. People who sleeps late have more mental stamina and can outperform early risers!
169. Having someone constantly interrupt your sleep can provoke a shock to the mind in which can cause brain damage.
170. Foxes are solitary animals, they like to hunt and sleep alone.
171. Adults need 7-9 hours of sleep per day.
172. Curious people have a more difficult time falling asleep at night.
173. Couples that sleep together are healthier.
174. Listening to at least 15 minutes of music before going to bed will help you sleep better
175. People with higher intelligence have a harder time falling asleep at night due to increased brain activity.
176. People who sleep on their left side have significantly more nightmares than people who sleep on their right side.
177. Only 6 percent of kids in the 10th grade and only 3 percent in the 12th grade get the recommended amount of sleep.
178. People who get less that 6.9 hours of sleep often have higher blood pressure, eat more, and have slower reaction times.
Trending in Just For Fun
The Royal Navy uses blasts of Britney Spears’s ‘Oops! . . . I Did It Again’ to scare off Somali pirates.
1 in 10 Americans think HTML is a sexually transmitted disease.
51 Internet Facts
In 2011, the United Nations declared that access to the Internet is a basic human right.
32 Christmas Facts
‘Santa Claus Is Coming to Town’ was first sung in November 1934. By Christmas, it had sold 400,000 copies.
The Lego company was originally called Billund Maskinsnedkeri.
In 1552, Henry Pert died after shooting himself in the face with his own bow and arrow.
178 Sleep Facts
The average person in Coventry sleeps for 6 hours and 5 minutes a night.
Traffic lights were introduced 18 years before the car was invented.
Jerry Springer was born in Highgate Tube station.
Forest fires can be sparked by sunlight magnified by water on dried-out leaves.
In 20860, the Islamic and Christian calendars will finally agree.