Fun Astronaut Facts
1. An Astronaut can be up to 2 inches taller returning from space. The cartilage disks in the spine expand in the absence of gravity.
2. Astronauts cant cry in space because of the weightless environment. The tears just collect in little balls and sting your eyes.
3. Astronauts in space lose significant bone and muscle mass because of zero gravity.
4. Astronauts have a patch of Velcro inside their helmet so they can scratch their nose.
5. Astronauts’ hearts become rounder in space.
6. Astronauts can see cosmic lightning when they close their eyes in space.
7. Astronaut L. Gordon Cooper fell asleep in his space capsule while waiting for blastoff.
8. For years, most of the urine produced by astronauts has just been dumped overboard.
9. In order to become an astronaut, you cannot be taller than 6'3' or shorter than 5'2'.
10. Astronauts eat hot sauce in space to clear sinuses.
11. Astronauts aboard the International Space Station can see about 16 sunrises and 16 sunsets a day.
12. Astronaut John Young smuggled a corned-beef sandwich into space.
13. Tears cannot flow in zero gravity, so Astronauts cannot cry.
Trending in Science
84 Body Facts
In 1986, Michael Foot’s appointment as chair of a disarmament committee prompted The Times headline: ‘Foot Heads Arms Body.’ The body of the sea otter has a pouch across the front where it keeps rocks to break open shellfish.
23 Nobel Prizes for Medicine have been won as a result of research on guinea pigs.
27 Titan Facts
‘The Just Missed It Club’ was for people who almost sailed on the Titanic. Two weeks after it sank, it had 118,337 members.
31 Mind Facts
The first coin minted in the US bore the slogan ‘Mind Your Business’.
‘Email’ is a 16th-century word meaning ‘enamel’.
29 Universe Facts
A ‘googolplex’ is a number so vast it can’t be written down: there’s not enough room in the universe for all the zeros.
Saturn's rings are about 500,000 miles in circumference but only about a foot thick.
The atmosphere of Venus is made up mainly of carbon dioxide.
In 1897, Bayer, who is the maker of Aspirin, marketed the drug heroin.