121 Stunning Human body Facts
1. Each nostril of a human being register smell in a different way. Smells that are made from the right nostril are more pleasant than the left.
2. The average human body contains enough iron to make a small nail.
3. If you?re typical, you can guess someone?s sex with 95% accuracy just by smelling their breath.
4. The 7-Eleven Extreme Gulp is 50% bigger than the volume of the human stomach!
5. The average single man is one inch shorter than the average married man.
6. Your skeleton keeps growing until you are about 35, then you start to shrink.
7. It takes 17 muscles to smile, 43 to frown.
8. Fingernails grow fastest on the hand you favor.
9. If you were to roll a lung from a human body and out flat it would be the size of a tennis court.
10. In the average lifetime a person will breath in about 44 pounds of dust.
11. Research indicates that babies who suck on pacifiers are more prone to ear aches.
12. Scientists are now able to grow 'beating' heart tissue in a lab!
13. When you walk down a steep hill, the pressure on your knees is equal to three times your body weight.
14. Forensic scientists can determine a person's sex, age, and race by examining a single strand of hair.
15. Girls have more tastebuds than boys.
16. It is now possible to print human skin with an inkjet printer!
17. One in 500 humans has one blue eye and one brown eye.
18. The aorta, the largest artery in the body, is almost the diameter of a garden hose.
19. Babies' eyes do not produce tears until the baby is approximately six to eight weeks old.
20. When you correct for weight differences, men are proportionately stronger than horses.
21. you're born with 300 bones, but when you get to be an adult, you only have 206!
22. The smallest bone in the human body is the stapes or stirrup bone located in the middle ear.
23. The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year!
24. The human brain is insensitive to pain.
25. Human body is originally programmed for 2 four-hour sleep cycles that is why we often wake up in the middle of night and unable to sleep.
26. One quarter of the human brain is used to control the eyes.
27. If your skin is laid flat it will cover an area of 18 square feet.
28. Ingrown toenails are hereditary.
29. Up to the age of six or seven months a child can breathe and swallow at the same time. An adult cannot do this.
30. Babies that are breastfed are more likely to be slimmer as adults than those that are not breastfed.
31. About 400 different kinds of microbes live on and in the human body.
32. Pain travels through the body at 350 feet per second!
33. All babies are color blind when they are born.
34. Blue eyes are the most sensitive to light, dark brown the least sensitive.
35. The average tastebud lives only 10 days before it dies and is replaced by a new one.
36. Infants spend more time dreaming than adults do.
37. By the age of 60, most people have lost 50% of their taste buds.
38. Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie!
39. During his or her lifetime, the average human will grow 590 miles of hair.
40. Females learn to talk earlier, use sentences earlier, and learn to read more quickly than males.
41. Out of all the senses, smell is most closely linked to memory.
42. A woman's sense of smell is most sensitive during ovulation.
43. Neanderthal man had a brain capcity 100cc larger than modern man's.
44. The average human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap.
45. From the age of thirty, humans gradually begin to shrink in size.
46. Medical studies show that intelligent people have more copper and zinc in their hair.
47. Half of all Americans over the age of 55 have no teeth.
48. Deep Breathing gives you health benefits similar to aerobics.
49. The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
50. The lense of the eye continues to grow throughout a person's life.
51. A chance of a woman having twins is increased after the age of 35. About 1 in 27 women will give birth to twins after this age. After 50 the chances of having twins is 1 in 9.
52. Women have a slightly higher average IQ than men.
53. One out of 20 people have an extra rib.
54. A fetus develops fingerprints at eighteen weeks!
55. The storage capacity of human brain exceeds 4 Terrabytes.
56. On average women can hear better than men.
57. The average person can live for eleven days without water, assuming an average temperature of 60 degrees fahrenheit.
58. Your heart rate can rise as much as 30% during a yawn.
59. The heart pumps about 1 million barrels of blood during an average lifetime!
60. Males sweat 40% more than females.
61. 25% of your bones are located in your feet.
62. The melting point of cocoa butter is just below the human body temperature which is why it literally melts in your mouth.
63. A person swallows approximately 295 times while eating dinner.
64. If your stomach didn't produce a new layer of mucous every two weeks, it would digest itself.
65. One quarter of the bones in your body are in your feet!
66. Your skin is actually an organ.
67. Unlike dogs, pigs, and some other mammals, humans cannot taste water. They taste only the chemicals and impurities in the water.
68. Take your height and divide by eight. That?s how ?tall? your head is.
69. The average female will have 3.3 pregnancies in her life.
70. When your face blushes, the lining of your stomach turns red, too.
71. During menstruation, the sensitivity of a woman's middle finger is reduced.
72. Whispering is more wearing on your voice than a normal speaking tone.
73. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
74. If you?re over 100 years old, there?s an 80% chance you?re a woman.
75. The hair of an adult man or woman can stretch 25 percent of its length without breaking.
76. There are 206 bones in the human body!
77. Every hour one billion cells in the body must be replaced.
78. 99% of people cannot lick their elbow.
79. World?s heaviest primates: morbidly obese humans. After that: gorillas at 485 lbs.
80. You are about 1 centimeter taller in the morning than in the evening!
81. You have no sense of smell when you're sleeping!
82. Your heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood each day!
83. The right lung takes in more air than the left.
84. Identical twins do not have identical fingerprints.
85. A person will burn 7 percent more calories if they walk on hard dirt compared to pavement.
86. A lot of lovemaking can unblock a stuffy nose. Sex is a natural antihistamine. It can help combat asthma and hay fever.
87. A sneeze can travel as fast as 100 miles per hour.
88. If you unfolded your brain, it would cover an ironing board.
89. Perspiration is odorless; it is the bacteria on the skin that creates an odor.
90. At age 70, more than 70 percent of men are still potent!
91. In one day an average person will take about 18,000 steps.
92. There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body.
93. Boys who have unusual first names are more likely to have mental problems than boys with conventional names. Girls don't seem to have this problem.
94. Babies start dreaming even before they're born.
95. We blink 25 times a minute.
96. Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
97. While 7 men in 100 have some form of color blindness, only 1 woman in 1,000 suffers from it.
98. Every three seconds, a new baby is born.
99. Your hair grows faster in the morning than at any other time of day.
100. Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails!
101. Children grow faster in the springtime than any other season during the year.
102. Contrary to popular belief, hair does not grow back darker and thicker after it has been shaved.
103. Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks!
104. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete!
105. Humans blink over 10,000,000 times a year!
106. During a typical human life span, the human heart will beat approximately 2.5 billion times.
107. Most dreams last only 5 to 20 minutes.
108. 40% of all indigestion remedies sold in the world are bought by Americans.
109. All Humans Are 99.9% Genetically Identical and 98.4% of human genes are the same as the genes of a chimpanzee.
110. Womens' hearts beat faster than mens'.
111. Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day!
112. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different!
113. If you cut a 'V' shape into your toe nails, you can prevent 'in-grown' toe nails.
114. According to studies, men change their minds two to three times more often than women.
115. Babies are born without knee caps.
116. You mostly breathe from only one nostril at a time!
117. Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second!
118. Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breathe!
119. People with blue eyes are better able to see in the dark.
120. Gardening is said to be one of the best exercises for maintaining healthy bones.
121. The tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
Trending in Science
115 Star Facts
The word ‘suffragette’ started out as an insult coined by the Daily Mail.
23 Nobel Prizes for Medicine have been won as a result of research on guinea pigs.
27 Titan Facts
‘The Just Missed It Club’ was for people who almost sailed on the Titanic. Two weeks after it sank, it had 118,337 members.
43 Moon Facts
Alan Shepard took a peanut to the Moon. When he brought it back, Steve McQueen tried to eat it.
31 Mind Facts
The first coin minted in the US bore the slogan ‘Mind Your Business’.
‘Email’ is a 16th-century word meaning ‘enamel’.
29 Universe Facts
A ‘googolplex’ is a number so vast it can’t be written down: there’s not enough room in the universe for all the zeros.
Saturn's rings are about 500,000 miles in circumference but only about a foot thick.