201 Interesting Human Facts
1. Humans blink over 10,000,000 times a year.
2. Humans are the only animals that blush.
3. If the human eye was a digital camera, it would have 576 megapixels.
4. A giraffe has the same number of vertebrae in its neck as humans do.
5. "Otherkin" are a community of people who believe they are partially or entirely non-human.
6. Over thinking causes the human mind to create negative scenarios and or replay painful memories.
7. There is a protein in the human body named after Pikachu. It transmits electrical impulses from the eyes to the brain.
8. Humans are walking 10% faster than we did a decade ago.
9. Every human spent about half an hour as a single cell.
10. Only humans and elephants recognize and react emotionally to the bones of their own kind.
11. Even dogs can catch a yawn from humans.
12. The human brain can only stay focused on one task or person for 7-10 minutes before they lose our attention.
13. Bedbugs can ingest 7 times their own weight in blood â€” the equivalent of an average-size human drinking 120 gallons of liquid.
14. Some scientists believe that all animals are autistic, and they simply need to be cured of their autism to talk like humans.
15. Humans have been around for about one tenth of one percent of the time that dinosaurs were around.
16. Crows have 250 different warning calls: including one for cats, one for hawks, and another for humans.
17. The lethal dose of caffeine for humans is ten grams, or about 100 cups of coffee consumed in 4 hours.
18. Ironically, the human mind tends to forget the things it should remember and remember the things it should forget.
19. A wake of about 30 vultures can skeletonize a human corpse in less than five hours.
20. Human flesh tastes like pork but looks like beef.
21. 40% of humanity lives in countries where it’s illegal to be homosexual.
22. All of the gold humans have mined is believed to have been placed there by meteorites.
23. There are more people in slavery today than at any time in human history.
24. Human DNA can be used to create vegan cheese.
25. Only humans have genetic "dark matter" that scientists may believe is an unidentified living organism.
26. Very little cell division occurs in the human heart, since muscle cells grow rather than divide. Thus, heart cancer is extremely rare.
27. The amniotic fluid in the human womb renews itself completely every three hours.
28. The human brain is only capable of maintaining 150 stable relationships.
29. The genome of wheat is five times larger than the human genome.
30. Human blood is actually cheaper than printer ink.
31. One of the least unpleasant sounds for humans is the sound of thunder.
32. All human beings have two of them, and each contains 10 billion atoms.
33. Humans are killing 1,776 animals for food every second.
34. Neanderthals were more cognitively advanced than modern day humans.
35. Like human babies, chihuahuas have a soft spot on their heads.
36. If humans were capable of hearing frequencies lower than 20 Hz, we would hear our muscles moving.
37. Hugging someone for 20 seconds triggers a chemical reaction in the human body that causes two people to trust each other more.
38. Some futurists predict humans will be able to upload their minds to computers by 2045.
39. A full head of human hair (about 150,000 strands) is strong enough to support the weight of 2 full grown elephants.
40. Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks.
41. Human saliva helps speed up wound healing.
42. Humans are known to lie as much as three times every ten minutes of an average conversation.
43. Humans naturally crave options and instead of choosing one task, they choose all of the available options.
44. It is as difficult for a bacterium to swim through water as it is for a human to swim through syrup.
45. There are libraries around the world where you can check out humans as living books and listen to their stories.
46. If humans were able to hear frequencies lower than 20 Hz, we would hear our muscles moving.
47. 50% of humans stop growing in height when they reach 16 years of age.
48. Prairie dogs have a specific alarm call for when they see humans with a gun.
49. Approximately 75% of human poop is made of water.
50. One of the hardest tasks for the human mind is convincing yourself that you no longer care.
51. Too much stress literally causes the human brain to freeze and shut down temporarily.
52. The risk of being struck by a falling meteorite for a human is one occurrence every 9,300 years.
53. There are almost 5,000 gods being worshipped by humanity.
54. The human heart is the only muscle that continuously works for a lifetime.
55. Lunar dust is actually composed of tiny bits of glass that will kill a human if the are exposed for too long.
56. Some scientists believe dolphins should be treated as non-human "people" with their rights to life. Unlike many animals, they are self-aware
57. Every two minutes, we take as many photos as all of humanity took during the 1800s.
58. During lunch breaks on the set of "The Walking Dead," the zombie cast would eat together while the human cast ate together.
59. Almost 70,000 thoughts hit the mind of an average human everyday.
60. Substantial research shows that humans are much more proficient at understanding others than we are ourselves.
61. 20% of all calories collectively consumed by humanity are from rice.
62. Over thinking can cause the human mind to create negative scenarios and or replay painful memories.
63. Humans can smell fear, and fear is contagious.
64. In 2000, it cost $3 billion to sequence a human genome. By 2014, the cost had fallen to under $1,000.
65. According to a study, humans worldwide use more happy words than sad words.
66. As time goes by, humans are becoming less and less empathetic. Today, we care about others 40% less than people in the 1980s did.
67. Humans create as much information in two days now as we did from the dawn of civilization up until 2003.
68. The human brain stops growing at age 18.
69. A dog that is a frequent head-tilter could be especially empathetic to humans, according to experts.
70. Human saliva contains a painkiller called opiorphin that is six times more powerful than morphine.
71. A hungry wolf can eat 20 pounds of meat in a single meal, which is the same as a human eating one hundred hamburgers.
72. If humans died out, it would still take a few hundred years for animals to bounce back to the numbers they were at before we evolved.
73. Humans are born with a sweet tooth.
74. Half of all human beings have mites living in their eyelashes.
75. The venom of a stonefish can kill a human in two hours.
76. The human race uses 15,000,000,000,000 watts of energy at any given moment.
77. Only humans cry because of feelings.
78. The human brain isn't fully functional for learning until after 10 AM, science has proved that schools begin way too early.
79. Sarcasm enables the human brain to remain healthy and efficient in terms of problem solving
80. Like all living things, humans are bioÂluminescent (meaning we glow) â€“ We glow brightest during the afternoon.
81. All primates â€”including humansâ€” are ticklish in the same spots.
82. Humans are unable to taste pure water, but it does have a taste.
83. In your gut alone, you have about 10 times more microbial cells than your whole body has human cells.
84. From a survey of almost 30,000 scientists, 97% agree that climate change is caused by human activity.
85. There is less time between the existence of the T-Rex and humans.
86. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
87. Humans have the same number of hair follicles as chimpanzees.
88. Humans can regenerate the tips of lost fingers or toes.
89. Velociraptors were feathered, weighed less than a human three-year-old, and looked like little, long-tailed chickens.
90. The human brain can only stay focused on one task or person for 8-10 minutes before they lose our attention.
91. Humans have been eating blood for centuries, some current recipes are: blood pancakes, blood sausage, blood soup, and blood pudding.
92. 5 Exabyte are required to save all the words ever spoken by human beings.
93. Human beings had been keeping sheep for 7,000 years before it occurred to anyone to use their wool.
94. We're living through the 'most peaceful era' in human history.
95. Adult male chimps are six times stronger than a human.
96. A kiwi’s egg is so large it’s equivalent to a human mother giving birth to a six-year-old.
97. Humans have caused 322 animal extinctions over the past 500 years.
98. The human brain can read up to 1,000 words per minute.
99. The storage capacity of a human brain exceeds 4 terrabytes
100. There are three things the human brain cannot resist noticing -- They are food, attractive people and danger.
101. A human head has the same density as watermelon.
102. Modern humans evolved 80,000 years after javelins were invented.
103. A study has found that animals react to social pressure much as humans do.
104. By tapping canes, stamping feet and making clicking sounds, humans can learn to echolocate like bats.
105. About 80% of all cats are infected with "Toxoplasma Gondii", a parasite that can cause depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia in humans
106. Just like humans have a dominant hand that they use more than the other, elephants have dominant tusks.
107. The average human male brain weighs 3.08 lbs. The average female brain is 2.85 lbs.
108. Humans share 60% of their DNA with a banana.
109. 87% of scientists believe that climate change is mostly caused by human activity, while only 50% of the public does.
110. There are 206 bones in the human body.
111. The human mind tends to get addicted to the things that take away the pain and relieve mental stress.
112. Human bones are 31% water.
113. The total weight of all of the termites in the world is more than the weight of all the humans in the world.
114. Rats can tell the difference between two human languages.
115. Every month, humanity collectively spends 19 years of its time watching Vines.
116. Human knowledge is doubling every 12 months, and is soon to be every 12 hours, according to a study.
117. On a clear dark night, the human eye can see a candle flame from as far as 30 miles away.
118. Like human toddlers, great apes, magpies, dolphins and elephants have passed the mirror testâ€”they recognize themselves in a mirror.
119. 3,079 chemical compounds have been identified in human urine.
120. Printer ink is more expensive than human blood.
121. Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas
122. HP Printer black ink is more expensive than human blood.
123. An overload of stress can cause the human mind to temporarily shut down.
124. Maggots can digest 60% of a human body within a week.
125. Humans are 80% genetically identical to cows.
126. Human muscles are limited by our brain â€“ we actually have the strength to move cars and boulders.
127. There are no documented human deaths from an LSD overdose.
128. In a 1776 version of the rules of golf, any ball falling in human excrement could be removed for a one-stroke penalty.
129. Some rats are more compassionate than humans.
130. By 2023, the average $1,000 laptop will be able to communicate just as fast as the human brain.
131. Hearing is the fastest human sense. A person can recognize a sound in as little as 0.05 seconds.
132. About 80% of all cats are infected with Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that can cause depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia in humans.
133. Over thinking causes the same amount of stress on the human mind as someone suffering from chronic depression.
134. 'Eigengrau' is the technical name for the color seen by the human eye in perfect darkness.
135. During 5,000 years of recorded human history, we have only eradicated one disease â€” smallpox.
136. The human brain is much more active at night than during the day.
137. Crying literally alleviates stress and uniquely allows humans to decrease feelings of anger and sadness.
138. Humans are the best long-distance runners on the planet, able to beat horses (and everything else) in marathon distance races.
139. Humans usually imitate the speech of someone with a strong accent due to empathy and to create a bond and assimilate with them.
140. Human babies are unable to recognize themselves in mirrors until they are 12-20 months of age.
141. Humans and giraffes both have seven vertebrae bones in the neck.
142. Humans tend to like average faces better than attractive ones because they have fewer idiosyncrasies.
143. As humans age, our minds shed negative memories and hang on to the more positive ones. This is called the "Positivity Effect."
144. Baby birds raised by humans are often unable to sing as adults.
145. Bone density has decreased significantly in recent modern humans as a result of less physical activity than our ancestors.
146. Humans spend 13% of their lives not focusing on anything in particular.
147. Grizzly bears can sniff out humans 18 miles away.
148. Humans can run multiple marathons because runners forget the intense pain of the marathon 3-6 months after the event, a study found.
149. The human heart pumps enough blood in a lifetime to fill three supertankers.
150. The clitoris is the only organ in the human body with just one purpose: Pleasure.
151. Human trafficking is considered the third largest source of profits for organized crime, behind only drugs and guns.
152. Human meat looks, smells, feels and tastes similar to veal - so much so that the average person cannot tell the difference.
153. A walrus’s penis bone is as long as a human thigh bone.
154. A study found that animals react to social and peer pressure the same way humans do.
155. A balanced diet for humans is almost the same for rats
156. Humans remember flawed, imperfect faces better than symmetrical, good-looking ones.
157. The human body has enough fat to produce 7 bars of soap.
158. Only 3 kinds of animals form armies and go to "war" -- Humans, crows and ants.
159. The human heart can be replaced with two turbines, causing a constant flow of blood rather than a pulse.
160. Humans lie an average of 2.92 times every ten minutes.
161. The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 ft.
162. A female elephant will only leave her herd if she is captured by humans or killed
163. Ironically, the human mind tends to forget the things it should remember
164. Adult cats only meow to communicate with humans. They rarely meow to other cats or animals.
165. Cuddling strengthens the frontal lobe of the human brain, the region of the brain responsible for how you react to emotional stress.
166. Male humans suffering through the symptomatic stage of rabies can sometimes uncontrollably ejaculate up to 30 times a day.
167. Over thinking can deprive the human brain of chemicals that naturally cause happiness. This often leads to depression.
168. Giving birth is the second most painful thing a human can experience â€“ The first is being burned alive.
169. Your IQ does not stay the same for life, because human intelligence continues to develop over time.
170. According to a study, the average intelligence of humans has risen 20 IQ points since 1950.
171. As humans live longer, more animal species are becoming extinct.
172. In the average human life, a person will walk 3 times around the world.
173. Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems.
174. Humans gave the brain its name. Therefore, theoretically, the human brain named itself.
175. Barnacles use a substance to attach themselves that is stickier than any glue that humans use.
176. Ants go to war similar to humans - They use even more advanced strategies such as sending the weaker ants out to fight first.
177. Total weight of bacteria living in the human body is 4.4lbs.
178. Corn used to be a bitter fruit 19mm short â€“ human manipulation changed it to the size and taste we are used to today.
179. Humans actually have 15 other senses which include things like balance, temperature, internal senses for suffocation, thirst and fullness.
180. The need to kiss does not have a physical explanation. It is still unknown why humans find pleasure in exchanging saliva.
181. Before the invention of electricity, human beings slept for 90 minutes longer than they do now.
182. Human teeth evolved from fish scales.
183. Having blue eyes is actually a mutation, before the mutation happened- all humans had brown eyes.
184. Only 1% of bacteria cause disease in humans.
185. On average, one human consumes the energy equivalent of a 100-watt light bulb every day.
186. Liposuctioned human fat can be recycled as fuel.
187. 50 Shades Of Grey? PFFFT! The human eye can distinguish between 500 shades of gray.
188. Young neanderthal girls had bigger biceps than an adult male human.
189. Humans and bananas share about 60% of the same DNA structure. RT if this just made you hungry...
190. The human brain will learn any word it hears 160 times in 14 minutes.
191. Human cadavers that end up in the ocean will be picked clean by marine animals if there are high oxygen levels in the water.
192. If ants were scaled up to human-sized proportions, they would walk at around 52 miles per hour.
193. A human adult is made up of about 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms.
194. Violence has steadily declined over the course of human history, and we are currently in the midst of the most peaceful era yet.
195. Humans don't understand competitive behavior until around the age of four.
196. Humans are not at the top of the food chain but near the middle, on a level with pigs and anchovies.
197. The pupils of the human eye are at their biggest as an adolescent and slowly get smaller until the age of 60.
198. A flea can jump 350 times its body length which is equivalent of a human jumping the length of a football field.
199. Human emotions are felt more intensely under bright light.
200. The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1.
201. Humans have a stronger bite force than gorillas.
Trending in Science
23 Nobel Prizes for Medicine have been won as a result of research on guinea pigs.
31 Mind Facts
The first coin minted in the US bore the slogan ‘Mind Your Business’.
‘Email’ is a 16th-century word meaning ‘enamel’.
Saturn's rings are about 500,000 miles in circumference but only about a foot thick.
The atmosphere of Venus is made up mainly of carbon dioxide.
In 1897, Bayer, who is the maker of Aspirin, marketed the drug heroin.
Another name for a Microsoft Windows tutorial is 'Crash Course'.
Lipstick in the US may legally contain lead, arsenic and mercury.
28 Intel Facts
The higher your IQ level, the easier it is to resist peer pressure. Intelligent people are less concerned with the approval of others.