65 Awesome Smell Facts
1. Farts smell worse in the shower because our nose works better in high heat and humidity.
2. Smelling, not eating, green apples can help you lose weight.
3. Trimethylaminuria is a metabolic disorder that makes you smell like day old fish. It has no known cure or treatment.
4. New-car smell is toxic to humans.
5. Life hack: Putting dry tea bags in gym bags or smelly shoes will absorb the unpleasant odor.
6. A woman once farted on a plane and tried to cover up the smell by lighting matches, which caused an emergency landing.
7. An Atlantic salmon’s sense of smell is 1,000 times better than a dog’s.
8. People with wet earwax are more prone to smelly armpits.
9. Smellfie To discretely sniff ones underarms for stank before venturing out in to public areas as to not offend other with fowl body odor.
10. When a female leopard is ready to mate she will give a scent and rub her body on the trees to leave her smell there.
11. Studies show that sandwiches actually taste better when other people make them for you, when we make food we get desensitized to the smell.
12. Trimethylaminuria is the condition where people suffer from body odor that smells like rotting fish.
13. There are people who can actually see, smell and physically taste music - it is called "synesthesia."
14. We are more attracted to the way a person smells than we are to the way they look.
15. Stick insects ooze out foul-smelling blood from their joints as a defense mechanism.
16. The bombardier beetle can shoot boiling-hot, foul-smelling liquid from a gland that can rotate 270 degrees.
17. Remove unpleasant odor in smelly shoes or gymbags by placing dry tea bags in them.
18. Clothes that are dried outside DO smell better because of a process called photolysis.
19. A recent study found that women are more likely to date men who smell like their fathers.
20. The sense that is most associated with memory is smell. Wearing a cologne during a special time can keep memories better than a journal!
21. There's a massive cloud full of alcohol in the center of our galaxy. It would smell like rum and taste like raspberries.
22. Even bloodhounds cannot smell the difference between two identical twins.
23. If you have to clean up vomit, put ground coffee on it first. It takes away the smell and dehydrates it--you can then sweep it up easily.
24. The fresh, salty smell of beach air is actually the smell of rotting seaweed.
25. Evert stream smells different to a salmon. They can smell their way back to the streams where they were born.
26. People with ADD/ADHD tend to have a better sense of smell due to increased odor sensitivity.
27. Shoes smell bad? Put them in the freezer overnight. It will kill the bacteria and get rid of the stink.
28. While certain songs and visual experiences can evoke memories, smell is by far the strongest sense in evoking past memories and emotions.
29. The largest flower in the world is called Rafflesia Arnoldii. It can grow as big as an umbrella and smells like decaying flesh.
30. Approximately 80-90% of what we perceive as "taste" comes from our sense of smell.
31. Smelling bananas and/or green apples (smelling, not eating) can help you lose weight.
32. That "old person smell" is actually caused by a chemical, called 2-nonenal, that old people secrete through their skin.
33. The human nose can recognise over 1,000,000,000,000 different smells.
34. The smell of newborn babies excites women in the same way an addict craving for drugs enjoys his fix, according to scientists.
35. Your sense of smell is 10,000 times more sensitive than your sense of taste.
36. A "Dutch oven" is when you fart in bed and then pull the covers over another person to smell it.
37. Bluebottle flies can smell meat from distances 7 km away.
38. The best way to tell if you have bad breath is to lick your wrist, let you saliva dry, and then smell it.
39. The Pyrus calleryana is a tree that distinctly and strongly smells like semen.
40. Everyone has a unique smell. Identical twins smell so alike that most times, only trained dogs can tell the difference.
41. If your shoes smell, Put dry tea bags inside them & The bags will absorb the unpleasant smells.
42. The smell of freshly cut grass is actually the scent plants release when in distress.
43. Women are more influenced by how a man smells than how he looks. Men, choose your fragrance wisely.
44. Blind people are twice as likely to smell things in their dreams as sighted people.
45. There is a neurological condition called "Synesthesia" in which a patient can actually see, smell and taste lyrics while listening to music.
46. The smell of a man is as stressful to mice as a three-minute swim. The smell of women doesn’t bother them.
47. Approximately 80-90% of what we perceive as 'taste' comes from our sense of smell.
48. People who smoke marijuana get the munchies because they have a heightened sense of smell.
49. We automatically perceive people who smell good as more attractive.
50. Silent farts have the most concentrated doses of sulfur, the compound that makes farts smell.
51. You have no sense of smell when you're sleeping.
52. The chemicals indole and skatole, which help to account for the particular smell of human feces, are used as ingredients in perfume.
53. Lick your wrist and smell it. This is what your breath smells like to others.
54. The smell of gasoline triggers the region of the brain associated with pleasure which is why so many people enjoy it.
55. Synesthesia is a neurological condition that can cause a person to see, smell and taste music.
56. Fear makes the nose more sensitive to smells and increases memory retention.
57. Chemist Julius Samann invented Little Tree air fresheners when his milkman complained about the smell of spoiled milk in his delivery truck.
58. The male gypsy moth can "smell" the virgin female gypsy moth from 1.8 miles away.
59. Antiperspirants actually make people smell worse.
60. Without its smell, coffee would have only a sour or bitter taste due to the organic acids.
61. When someone smells good, it automatically makes them more attractive
62. The "post-rain" smell is caused by a mixture of plant oils, bacterial spores, and ozone.
63. In 2006, a woman farted on a plane and tried to cover up the smell by lighting matches, causing an emergency landing.
64. When somebody smells good, we automatically perceive them as more attractive.
65. It is possible for humans to smell a storm coming.
Trending in Science
115 Star Facts
The word ‘suffragette’ started out as an insult coined by the Daily Mail.
84 Body Facts
In 1986, Michael Foot’s appointment as chair of a disarmament committee prompted The Times headline: ‘Foot Heads Arms Body.’ The body of the sea otter has a pouch across the front where it keeps rocks to break open shellfish.
23 Nobel Prizes for Medicine have been won as a result of research on guinea pigs.
27 Titan Facts
‘The Just Missed It Club’ was for people who almost sailed on the Titanic. Two weeks after it sank, it had 118,337 members.
31 Mind Facts
The first coin minted in the US bore the slogan ‘Mind Your Business’.
‘Email’ is a 16th-century word meaning ‘enamel’.
29 Universe Facts
A ‘googolplex’ is a number so vast it can’t be written down: there’s not enough room in the universe for all the zeros.
Saturn's rings are about 500,000 miles in circumference but only about a foot thick.