Interesting Antarctic Facts
1. Wilson's storm-petrels are birds that breed in Antarctica who migrate all the way to North America in the summer.
2. 51 countries have joint international control over Antarctica, since there is no permanent human population.
3. Ants have colonized almost every landmass on our planet. With the exception of Antarctica, the Arctic, and a handful of islands.
4. The largest iceberg ever measured is bigger than Jamaica: 4,200 square miles. It broke away from Antarctica in 2000.
5. You cannot work in Antarctica unless your wisdom teeth and appendix are removed.
6. The only continent without reptiles or snakes is Antarctica.
7. Even Antarctica has an area code. It's 672.
8. Kate Upton almost died from hypothermia while posing semi-nude in Antarctica for the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.
9. The Arctic tern experiences 4 months of constant sunlight in the Arctic & 4 months of constant sunlight in the Antarctic
10. The Ross seal is a seal species that never leaves the Antarctic Ocean.
11. Owls are found in all different habitats and there are different owl species found on all continents except Antarctica.
12. A scientist in Antarctica managed to find a date â€”through Tinder â€” with another scientist who was camping 45 minutes away.
13. The world’s largest iceberg set off from Antarctica in 2000. It was larger than Jamaica and parts of it still haven’t melted.
14. The hole in the ozone layer over Antarctica is twice the size of Europe.
15. Dogs, foxes, and wolves live on all the world's continents except Antarctica.
16. The peregrine falcon is one of the fastest birds in the world and can be found on every continent, except Antarctica.
17. A scientist in Antarctica managed to find a date (through Tinder) with another scientist who was camping 45 minutes away.
18. The NYC-sized iceberg (Pine Island Glacier) about to break free will be the largest single contributor to sea level rise from Antarctica
Trending in World
45 Chinese Facts
If they were countries, the Chinese provinces of Guangdong, Shandong, Henan, Sichuan and Jiangsu would be among the world’s 20 most populous.
An Egyptian cure for insanity was to eat snake meatballs under a full moon.
34 Britain Facts
The name sign of the town of Lost in Aberdeenshire is the only one in Britain that is welded to its pole.
49 Roman Facts
The sign for the female sex (C) represents the hand mirror of the Roman goddess Venus.
78 English Facts
The English word ‘squirrel’ is particularly difficult for Germans to pronounce.
41 French Facts
In the French Revolution, prisoners were taken to the guillotine on wagons used to transport manure.
The world’s largest iceberg set off from Antarctica in 2000. It was larger than Jamaica and parts of it still haven’t melted.
80% of pirates caught by the European Union’s naval police are released.
The Spanish for ‘when pigs fly’ is ‘when hens piss’.