45 Cool Chinese Facts
1. The Chinese giant salamander (Andrias davidianus) is the largest salamander in the world, reaching a length of 180 cm (6 ft)
2. If they were countries, the Chinese provinces of Guangdong, Shandong, Henan, Sichuan and Jiangsu would be among the world’s 20 most populous.
3. While filming "Murder By Numbers," Sandra Bullock brought a Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist to help the cast and crew cope with stress.
4. The first surviving, captive panda triplets were born on July 29th, 2014 in a Chinese zoo.
5. The game known as "Chinese Checkers" originated in Germany.
6. Correction: Traditional Chinese Medicine believes that Rhino horns have health benefits. There is no evidence that this is true.
7. US Medium (M) shirts are larger than Extra Large (XL) Chinese shirts.
8. Around 60% of all Christmas goods are made in one Chinese city.
9. The male Chinese water deer has TUSKS!
10. An army of 10,000 clay soldiers were created in 200 B.C, by a Chinese emperor and were supposed to protect him in the afterlife.
11. In Sweden, a Chinese burn is known as the ‘thousand needle prank’.
12. Desperation caused a Chinese teenager to sell his kidney for $2000 because he wanted to buy the iPad 2.
13. There is a common Chinese idiom that states,"The ugly wife is a treasure at home."
14. Chinese eunuchs kept their testicles in a jar in the hope they will reattach themselves in the next world.
15. Chinese fans of Sherlock call Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman ‘Curly Fu’ and ‘Peanut’.
16. Ice cream is Chinese food.
17. The Chinese invented and used forks long before they invented and used chopsticks.
18. The Chinese alligator can survive in freezing water.
19. Chinese courts have a 99.99% conviction rate, as measured in 2009.
20. The Casino Royale movie was the first James Bond film approved by Chinese censors.
21. In 2009, a 13-year old Chinese girl tried to commit suicide so that she could donate her liver to her dying father.
22. A man once woke up from a coma and could speak fluent Chinese after only studying it a short time in high school.
23. A chinese man once lived for 55 years without an anus.
24. Just to buy an iPhone and an iPad, a Chinese student aged 17 sold his one kidney.
25. Cannabis Sativa is one of the 50 fundamental herbs used in Chinese herbology and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
26. A Chinese man sued his wife for being ugly, and won.
27. It is a common misconception that Marco Polo introduced pasta to Italy - in truth, the dish had already existed in Europe for centuries - but there's little doubt he made Westerners aware of many Chinese inventions.
28. When Danes pose for photos, they say ‘orange’, the Chinese say ‘aubergine’ and the Germans say ‘ant shit’.
29. 'Fei Chong We Rao' is a Chinese dating show... for dogs.
30. In Chinese writing, there is no capital letter, there are no spaces between characters, and characters have 10 strokes, on average.
31. There have been 47 Charlie Chan Movies, with six actors playing the part. None were Chinese.
32. Firecrackers were used as early as 200 B.C. by the Chinese to scare off abnormally large mountain men.
33. A mother bear in a Chinese bile farm killed her cub and then herself because of the inhumane conditions they were subjected to.
34. If the Chinese, one day, use as much oil per person as Americans, then the world will need seven more Saudi Arabias to meet their demand.
35. Usain Bolt ate 1,000 chicken nuggets during the Beijing Olympics because he didn’t like Chinese food.
36. A Chinese Entrepreneur has made a brew of tea, which will cost $200 a cup. Itï¿½s made of Panda dung!
37. Chinese Crested dogs can get acne
38. Sunglasses were first worn by Chinese judges in the 12th century to hide their faces while questioning witnesses in court.
39. The Chinese were the first to use marijuana.
40. Chinese police increasingly use geese instead of police dogs because of their aggressiveness and superior vision.
41. In the Chinese city of Chongqing, cell phone addicts have their own sidewalk lane.
42. Nicki Minaj has only one tattooâ€”it says "God is always with you" in Chinese.
43. An estimated 20% of all consumer goods on the Chinese market are counterfeit.
44. The Chinese consume 50,000 cigarettes every second.
45. The Japanese sleep two hours a night less than the Chinese.
Trending in World
45 Chinese Facts
If they were countries, the Chinese provinces of Guangdong, Shandong, Henan, Sichuan and Jiangsu would be among the world’s 20 most populous.
152 Earth Facts
Lake Baikal in Russia is a thousand times older than any other lake on Earth.
An Egyptian cure for insanity was to eat snake meatballs under a full moon.
34 Britain Facts
The name sign of the town of Lost in Aberdeenshire is the only one in Britain that is welded to its pole.
49 Roman Facts
The sign for the female sex (C) represents the hand mirror of the Roman goddess Venus.
78 English Facts
The English word ‘squirrel’ is particularly difficult for Germans to pronounce.
41 French Facts
In the French Revolution, prisoners were taken to the guillotine on wagons used to transport manure.
The world’s largest iceberg set off from Antarctica in 2000. It was larger than Jamaica and parts of it still haven’t melted.
80% of pirates caught by the European Union’s naval police are released.
The Spanish for ‘when pigs fly’ is ‘when hens piss’.