49 Random Roman Facts
1. Early Roman law stipulated that anyone who was killed by lightning would not receive a proper burial.
2. To take an oath, ancient Romans put a hand on their testicles; that's where the word 'testimony' comes from.
3. Ancient Romans swore upon their testicles when testifying in court.
4. A survey says 41% of couples prefer a "hug and a kiss" over a romantic candlelit dinner as the most romantic gesture from their partner.
5. Phaneromaniacs are obsessed with picking their scabs and biting their nails.
6. Biochemically, romantic love may be indistinguishable from having severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
7. The Romans used powdered mouse brains as toothpaste.
8. The heart shape was first used to symbolize romantic love around the year 1250. Before that, it represented foliage.
9. People in the Roman era, would submit their dreams to the Senate for analysis and interpretation.
10. In 2005, a Romanian murderer sued God for not doing enough to protect him from Satan.
11. The sign for the female sex (C) represents the hand mirror of the Roman goddess Venus.
12. Romans sometimes roasted chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a goose stuffed inside a pig stuffed inside a cow.
13. The mile is Latin for 1,000. The number of paces it took the average Roman.
14. In 1939, the US army was smaller than the armies of Portugal or Romania and ranked 17th in the world; by 1945, it had 8.3 million men.
15. Ancient Romans used lead as a natural sweetener for their wine, causing widespread infertility and dementia.
16. For the first date, 34% of singles find it most romantic when their date plans a surprise activity.
17. A survey revealed that 34% of single people find it most romantic when their date plans a surprise activity for the first date.
18. Saddam Hussein wrote a romance novel.
19. The resistance of the wealthy to paying taxes was one of the factors contributing to the collapse of the Roman Empire.
20. Attempting to be friends with someone whom you feel romantically attracted to may often cause insomnia, depression and low self worth.
21. The Romans split France into ‘Trousered Gaul’ in the south and ‘Hairy Gaul’ in the north.
22. Eleutheromania is an intense obsession with freedom.
23. Bacteria live for only three hours on Croatia’s currency, the kuna, but for more than a day on the Romanian leu.
24. Being materialistic can cause you to lose friends and romantic partners.
25. 27% of single people find it most romantic when they hold hands on a first date, according to a study.
26. 80% of single women say they are not satisfied with the amount of romance in their lives, according to a survey.
27. Between 4% and 5% of people in the U.S. are romantically involved in a consensually nonmonogamous relationship.
28. The Ancient Romans had a festival in which the slaves and slave owners would switch places.
29. 25% of surveyed singles said they find it most romantic when their date leans in for a first kiss on the first date.
30. Romantic love lasts a year. After that, "attachment love" sets in.
31. Ancient Romans ate puppies.
32. During the Roman Era, interesting dreams were submitted to the Roman Senate for analysis and dream interpretation.
33. Stephen Colbert is a practicing Roman Catholic and teaches sunday school.
34. When people feel physically cold, they seek out psychological warmth, like watching a romantic movie that will make them feel warm inside.
35. Women who read romance novels make love to their partners 74% more often than women who do not.
36. The first recorded mooning happened in 66 AD, when a Roman soldier mooned a group of Jews and started a riot.
37. Being romantic only works if the other person already has feelings for you.
38. The abbreviation for pound, "Lb," comes from the Latin word "Libra," which is derived from an ancient Roman unit of measurement.
39. The Roman Empire in 150 CE had higher income equality than the US in 2011.
40. It has been estimated that about 500,000 people and over a million wild animals died in the Roman Colosseum.
41. Archaeologists discovered skeletal remains of a Roman couple who had been holding hands for over 1,500 years.
42. Elephants were trained by the ancient Romans to perform on the tightrope
43. There is a species of fish that can be hallucinogenic when eaten. The Ancient Romans reportedly consumed it as a recreational drug.
44. In Romania around 1935, Mickey Mouse was banned because it was thought that he would scare children.
45. Ancient Romans believed that veils would shield the bride from evil spirits.
46. The Romans used lemons as mothballs.
47. Ketchup was first prepared by Romans in 300 B.C. to enhance the flavor of fish and fowl.
48. 40% of people who are rejected in romantic love slip into clinical depression.
49. Claudius II banned marriage for young Roman men because he believed single men made better soldiers.
Trending in World
45 Chinese Facts
If they were countries, the Chinese provinces of Guangdong, Shandong, Henan, Sichuan and Jiangsu would be among the world’s 20 most populous.
152 Earth Facts
Lake Baikal in Russia is a thousand times older than any other lake on Earth.
An Egyptian cure for insanity was to eat snake meatballs under a full moon.
34 Britain Facts
The name sign of the town of Lost in Aberdeenshire is the only one in Britain that is welded to its pole.
49 Roman Facts
The sign for the female sex (C) represents the hand mirror of the Roman goddess Venus.
78 English Facts
The English word ‘squirrel’ is particularly difficult for Germans to pronounce.
41 French Facts
In the French Revolution, prisoners were taken to the guillotine on wagons used to transport manure.
The world’s largest iceberg set off from Antarctica in 2000. It was larger than Jamaica and parts of it still haven’t melted.
80% of pirates caught by the European Union’s naval police are released.
The Spanish for ‘when pigs fly’ is ‘when hens piss’.