Cool United Kingdom Facts
1. London's Pall Mall became the first street lit by gaslight in 1807!
2. In the United Kingdom, young, single, childless women earn more on average than men do.
3. The United kingdom eats more cans of baked beans than the rest of the world combined.
4. In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
5. All the swans in England are property of the Queen.
6. In some parts of England, rum is used to wash a baby's head for good luck.
7. In the great fire of London, in 1666, half of London was burnt down but only 6 people were injured.
8. Parliament is considering banning Donald Trump from the United Kingdom following a 570,000-signature petition from its citizens.
9. The first ever patent in the UK was Aaron Rathbone & Roger Burges, Map makers in 1618!
10. In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King.
11. In England, in the 1880's, "Pants" was considered a dirty word!
Trending in World
45 Chinese Facts
If they were countries, the Chinese provinces of Guangdong, Shandong, Henan, Sichuan and Jiangsu would be among the world’s 20 most populous.
152 Earth Facts
Lake Baikal in Russia is a thousand times older than any other lake on Earth.
An Egyptian cure for insanity was to eat snake meatballs under a full moon.
34 Britain Facts
The name sign of the town of Lost in Aberdeenshire is the only one in Britain that is welded to its pole.
49 Roman Facts
The sign for the female sex (C) represents the hand mirror of the Roman goddess Venus.
78 English Facts
The English word ‘squirrel’ is particularly difficult for Germans to pronounce.
41 French Facts
In the French Revolution, prisoners were taken to the guillotine on wagons used to transport manure.
The world’s largest iceberg set off from Antarctica in 2000. It was larger than Jamaica and parts of it still haven’t melted.
80% of pirates caught by the European Union’s naval police are released.